Python Forum
Jon Skeet's post about StackOverflow culture
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jon Skeet's post about StackOverflow culture
https://codeblog.jonskeet.uk/2018/03/17/...w-culture/

I haven't finished reading it yet, but I really like Skeet in a lot of ways, and thought I'd share it here. Might have more to say once I've finished it, but that could be days Rolleyes
Thanks,

I used to contribute on Stack overflow, but haven't in a very long (5 years maybe) time. I like the format here
much better, and never cared for their rating system.

I should add that I still use it for reference quite a bit, as I do like the short to the point answers which are
usually correct.

Thanks for the FYI.
For this forum I don't view the result as the only benefit. Obviously as we don't have a "best answer" here. But different threads could result to the same answer but start from different perspectives. That would make sense as people view things differently and hence people will also Google them differently.

I don't think askers care if it is a dup question. In some ways noobies might even feel like it's not a dup when it truly is. I am more of the link back to the duplicate question rather than just delete the thread. I think it's crazy that they would remove a question when they determine it's a dup.

When your frustrated and confused they just ask the question. They might search a little or not at all.

I have always felt a hostility in SO as well. Buy I mostly dont answer anything there because of their ranking system restrictions.

Reddit has the same feeling. Everyone is fighting to be the best voted response it sickens me.

On the other hand....when I Google something most of the time the response is SO. But is sure as shit won't ask or answer on their site.

What I find funny about these structures are I often will use not the top voted answer. So the whole competitive thing is dumb. I like here how everyone is a team and works together and try to give the asker the best answer without competing with each other
Recommended Tutorials:
Yeah, I agree with most of what's been said on this thread. I think one of Skeet's comments about SO applies here as well - that the goal of the asker is to get unblocked as quickly as possible, and the goal of the site is something else. I'm not sure I have too much more to say about it right now, but I suspect that there's a middleground between what we have here and what SO does. One (theoretically simple) thing I've seen on other forums is to have the best-answer post show up at the top, so that if there's additional discussion after, people showing up later don't have to dig around for it.
There was a best post plugin I added a long time ago....but everyone voted it out. All it did was add an answer link in the thread listing for quick access to that post and change the background color of that post, but it left the order of the posts where they are. https://mods.mybb.com/view/mysupport

It's still installed but deactivated if you want to see what it's like
Recommended Tutorials:
That blocked from asking questions thing for new accounts seems backwards to me. You can't ask a question until you have answered some.

Actually you know what that reminds me of is Yahoo answers. I'll often ask a generic question on there because I don't want to go create an account for a forum for one question. But you get points for answering questions and you spend points for asking questions. Needless to say answers are half the time gibberish or a one word answer just to get points
Recommended Tutorials:
I've asked a question in SO once and I won't do it again. Despite that, I didn't get a solution for my problem. I was forced to answer in order to ask. I don't like that. I was worried how I am asking and that did not make me feel good. Some of the people there are frankly rude.
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
Somehow I got downvoted on legit answers and I gave up
Recommended Tutorials:
When I started using python in earnest, I looked around at what was available, and kept coming back to this forum,
or more precisely was was the old 'this' forum.

I think the fact that python-forum.io is the link pointed to first by python.org: https://www.python.org/community/forums/
speaks well for itself.
yeah we are getting so much more traffic from python.org than we ever got from python-forum.org. At this point i would say we have enough roots in the ground that we could try to have Taos sell us .org TLD, but i dont think that matters anymore. We have such a good footing we dont really even need it anymore lol
Recommended Tutorials:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  i hate stackoverflow metulburr 7 4,401 Aug-19-2019, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Bartolomeo