Python Forum
"Just saying" what exactly?
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
"Just saying" what exactly?
https://mail.python.org/mm3/mailman3/lis...ython.org/

Quote:* We ask everyone to be welcoming, friendly, and patient.
* Flame wars and insults are unacceptable in any fashion, by any party.
* Anything can be asked, and RTFM is not an acceptable answer.
* Neither is its in the archives, go read them.
* List archives are available only to subscribers, but subscription is open to everyone.
* Since the archives are closed cross posting to public mailing lists is discouraged.
* Statements made by core developers can be quoted outside of the list.
* Statements made by others can not be quoted outside the list without explicit permission. [1]
* We endorse the PSFs Diversity statement.
* The list administrators reserve the right to revoke the subscription of members (including mentors) that persistently fail to abide by this Code of Conduct. [2]

[1] Anonymised paraphrased statements someone asked about are ok direct quotes with or without names are not appropriate.
[2] The current administrators are listed at the bottom of the page. Mentors that would like to help administer or moderate the list just need to ask.
Is there a specific reason you are posting this with these specific lines bolded. I haven't noticed anyone responding RTFM here on these forums I think ever. We do however require users to show effort before expecting others to do their work for them. Also if there is a specific tutorial or thread that already explains a user's question, telling them to go read it is completely acceptable (though a link should be provided not just a "google it").
I don't understand your title either, and these aren't Python mailing lists, we're a totally separate entity from the Python Software Foundation or the core developers.
I guess the reason is this month-old thread https://python-forum.io/Thread-missing-styntax in Homework section
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself, Albert Einstein
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way: link and another link
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

While I think the wording of the initial reply was weird in that thread, it 100% looked like homework and learning a little bit of Python is the right way to make that inference. The RTFM there was just a simple way to pattern match colons with braces.

In any case, as I said, we're not part of the Python mailing lists. While a Code of Conduct probably isn't a terrible idea, we haven't had many issues so this is the first it's come up, I think.
Who is python-forum.io?
Recommended Tutorials:
Very easy hypothesis: What happens if no one reads the documents and there is one place to ask questions. On this place are maybe 100 people with good knowledge, the rest does not know anything.

What will happen?
Almost dead, but too lazy to die: https://sourceserver.info
All humans together. We don't need politicians!
It was in homework section, cleared stated it's a test question. I still believe it was better to guide him where to look for answer instead of giving the answer right away. IMHO, it's not RTFM type of answer.
Not to mention how annoyed I was from the attitude that was demonstrated afterwards. It was not me that expect him to guess the answer, but who ever teach him and who knows what was covered and he should know.
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself, Albert Einstein
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way: link and another link
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

Quote:Just saying" what exactly?

Firstly, who change my title of this thread by adding "what exactly" after the original title, "Just Saying" ?

This is the bar, right....?
At the bars I used to go to, you can say, debate, etc almost what you like
as long you don't intentionally offend.

Lately I have borrowed at least 5 Python books from our local library.
At least 3 of them, at the beginning of those books the authors have something in common, generally speaking.
That is, they all started coding from 5 to 8 years old back in the day when all this was new, probably around the 1980's.
Point is, when a child starts to mingle with anything at a young age will no doubt have a second nature, where others may say, "he or she is a natural". Musicians, famous musos is once case for example.
Mechanics is another when one watches a parent repair their own vehicle, and goes on to become a master of the trade.

When everyone jumps on a bandwagon, in this case it's Python, and the "naturals", Buran, expect others to follow the same learning path, but in my case I'm well over the hill age wise, learning is not like it used to be.
RTFM, if you can be empathetic, does not work just because others by experience, respectfully, it has worked for them.

The cliché "Teach to fish then give a fish" is correct, but over used as some sort of cop out.

By answering questions, directly, simply, one can then "see" what to look for in now the vast volumes of information available.
If you have ever used Excel VBA forums, code examples are everywhere in reply to the person asking.
One "get's it one way, another "gets" it another way when asking specific questions.
When one stifles the growth of an answer, due to ignorance and self centered, you are only contributing to the delay of progress.
You throw out words like retarded, ignorant, and self-centered, and then get mad when you are expected to do some work? And you then try to shame people posting in a beginner's forum with a code of conduct from a core developer's list?

Whatever.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures