Python Forum
"Just saying" what exactly?
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
"Just saying" what exactly?
(Aug-21-2018, 11:15 PM)bluedoor5 Wrote: Firstly, who change my title of this thread by adding "what exactly" after the original title, "Just Saying" ?
I didn't notice before, but it looks like it was Mekire. Personally, I don't think that was a good edit. I can explain why if necessary.

(Aug-21-2018, 11:15 PM)bluedoor5 Wrote: By answering questions, directly, simply, one can then "see" what to look for in now the vast volumes of information available.
Unless I'm misreading things, you were asking that your homework be done for you. Though I don't agree with the wording of the initial reply, you definitely needed to RTFM. It's super easy to test things in Python as well, if you'd just gone through a basic tutorial (at any age) and tested the first or second thing that looked like it would work, you'd probably have gotten it. I have more sympathy for Buran feeling impatient about your "do it for me" post than you complaining here.

I mean this as compassionately as possible: you won't always get perfect replies here (this one likely included) but you need to get over it. Sometimes you have to RTFM, and since those replies are rare in this forum you should take it seriously when you get it. It could have been said more graciously but it was 100% the right advice to you. If we'd done what you wanted, it would have been academic dishonesty. I don't see any other way about it.
ok, posted on the wrong thread. no, it's not homework, as in I'm going to a school, homework.
Sorry.

What I do have is my current excel vba project that relies on a web query in a certain way, and it loops query after query after query, hands free everything. The logic is mine, taken over 15 years to get it right.

All I want is to test the query using Python, send it to a txt, and I will chnage VBA to query the text file as if it was the web page.
Reason, because soon vba won't be able to, due to web page changes.
Once I see it in Python,what the data looks like, and if it is even possible to get the exact same info/scrape then I can decide to commit.

I don't see why I need to go through volumes and volumes and volumes of reading, just to understand basic syntaxes for this interim tire kick.

Not all of us really want to become engineers, we just want our hobby projects to work on from where the IT has progressed.

FYI, I have some brilliant complex calculators all relying on real time info. They still work, IF the info can still get to it. But that data technology has become dinosaur and the program is written in assembly. Bullet proof to say the least.
The programmer sold me the entire program, source code and compiler and retired at an ripe old age.
This is where I hope to commit, if I can just get the real time data, see it, see what it looks like from the particular web pages, ( used to come from data sources before the internet, pre- 1998).

So don't tell me I'm "lazy", your fears really are the architects, those who can think ideas for you to code.
(Aug-22-2018, 03:48 AM)bluedoor5 Wrote: no, it's not homework, as in I'm going to a school, homework.
well, it was in homework section and you clearly stated it is snippet of a test. My understanding was this is a question from a test you get at school. If it is what you claim it is, then it was poor choice of sub-forum to post in, i.e. you did post in wrong sub-forum.
(Aug-22-2018, 03:48 AM)bluedoor5 Wrote: I don't see why I need to go through volumes and volumes and volumes of reading, just to understand basic syntaxes for this interim tire kick.
This is so absurd statement... It's your hobby project, not ours. You want to learn python, we already took that journey and are on our way ahead of you.
(Aug-21-2018, 11:15 PM)bluedoor5 Wrote: If you have ever used Excel VBA forums, code examples are everywhere in reply to the person asking.
FYI, I was active user on one of the main excel-help forums and I know what you talk about. However, that is the established forum culture there an here we don't do other people's work. Yet there are plenty of cases (almost always) that we provided code for others, but in Homework section most often we will guide you to find the solution yourself.

(Aug-22-2018, 03:48 AM)bluedoor5 Wrote: So don't tell me I'm "lazy", your fears really are the architects, those who can think ideas for you to code.
I clearly explained what I meant by 'lazy' and that no offense was intended. However with your attitude I doubt you will get a lot/any help in the future.
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself, Albert Einstein
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way: link and another link
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

Just wanted to add my opinion (disclaimer: I am no admin/moderator of this site nor professional software developer).

I find this site as friendly as can be in more or less anonymous internet forum. There are lot of people here helping when people are stuck with their Python problems. I haven't seen hostilities or mocking of code provided. Responses are helpful examples and nudging toward better code.

However, in order to get other peoples time one should invest it's own time first. This time should be spent on thinking and defining your problem (and writing some code). If there is no problem defined there can't be help (nor solution). Nobody can't expect that somebody else will figure out what my problem is and then solve it for me.

To maintainers of this site - keep up good job!
I'm not 'in'-sane. Indeed, I am so far 'out' of sane that you appear a tiny blip on the distant coast of sanity. Bucky Katt, Get Fuzzy

Da Bishop: There's a dead bishop on the landing. I don't know who keeps bringing them in here. ....but society is to blame.
You put effort in complaining about our behavior.
You could have used this time to study primitives/datatypes in Python.
Just continue with learning, ask questions when you have problems.
But this doesn't free you from reading the instructions. This is very important.
Big projects do have 4 sections of docs.
  • Normal Documentation
  • API Reference
  • Examples
  • Tutorials
To save time, you start with examples, then doing the tutorials and afterwards you have to use only the documentation and API reference. Just my 50 cent.
Almost dead, but too lazy to die: https://sourceserver.info
All humans together. We don't need politicians!
Quote:Firstly, who change my title of this thread by adding "what exactly" after the original title, "Just Saying" ?
I changed it. Perhaps not the best edit but your title was inane. Your original title was not appropriate and your post in general was passive aggressive.

Nothing about how Buran spoke to you in that thread was inappropriate. I don't care how much you need an answer handed to you, on this forum, you will always be expected to show effort. Even if that effort is, "I read through the documentation here (with link), but I still don't understand this (with description)".

This is how we operate here. If you don't like that then this isn't the place for you. Other than that passive aggressiveness and out-right insults will not be tolerated.
Quote:bluedoor5 Wrote:
Firstly, who change my title of this thread by adding "what exactly" after the original title, "Just Saying" ?
I didn't notice before, but it looks like it was Mekire. Personally, I don't think that was a good edit. I can explain why if necessary

My hope is, someone comes along and makes another forum, without all you control freaks.

My only mistake was to post on the wrong thread, speak up at a moderator who seems to have issue with their self centered status, and ask a few questions when 100% new to Python, yet not new to what I need to do.

Then to top it off, some other control freak has the privilege of changing a thread title to suit their own BS to, just because I spoke up and posted on this thread, seems to have rustled some feathers here no doubt.
While you lot have the monopoly, enjoy the status and more.
The fall from grace is great entertainment someday.

Me, like I mentioned early days here, I'll pay a student from the local university so I get to choose.
At least the interim job gets done,that is to view a web query as said before and commit if need be.
Enough said, if you wanna talk, PM
Thanks