Python Forum
GUI app for Android 2.3.0
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GUI app for Android 2.3.0
Hi, I am getting started with Python and would like to develop some apps for my old Android 2.3.0 tablet. I have Qpyton 1.4 installed, but it is a bit limited and the Python version is 2.7. What are my possibilities? Would appreciate any kind of system, from transpiler-type-thing( ie python-> android native app, or hybrid app) to a python VM, that supports some kind of GUI framework. Kiwi does not work on my , Qpyton 1.4 idk

The caveat is the Android version 2.3. No root access either

If there is nothing out there, what GUI framework(or someting along that) could I use on my Qpython 1.4? I know I could make a Web App, but I am not really keen on coding the HTML, CSS, JS, and i could only use Python for the backend?
I could not find anything, so Ill just settle for mentioned qpython 1.4, and I'll use sl4a, which I have now discovered, maybe with a webview as just the view layer, python for app logic and data. Should not be too much htmljscsss coding involved. Primarily this is all for practicing python with real world applications, not for efficiently developing apps.
Sorry for bringing this very outdated topic back into focus, but maybe somewhere it may be interesting to somebody, so I wanted to update. Tried the kivy launcher 1.9.0.0 now (kivy app allready integrated in qpython ide and hihger versions of kivy launcher didn't work) and that seems to work, but have not thoroughly tested.
Hello qwerty2019,
I also tried to find a framework to create Android aps using Python for my tablet.
In the first I read about QPython. I installed the app on my tablet, I played I little, but it was not what I wanted.
Then I read about sl4a and Android for Python initiative - to complex for me to use it.
The only one that worked for me is Kivy. So, I started to learn it. But the problem came when I want to create the Android APK. I read about Buldozer and how it automates the whole process. I found one or two tutorials about how to create an APK file, but it didn't work for me. Mostly because Buldozer works only on Linux and I'm not a Linux person. So, my struggle now is to create a virtual machine in which to install all the necessary packages in order to create that Android APK file.
I also heard about Kivy Launcher and I used it. The problem with the Kivy Launcher is that contains only a few Python packages. For small, not complicated, apps it's OK. But for an app that is using the Requests package (for API requests) is not working - the Requests package is not included in the Kivy Launcher. That way I need Buldozer, it will create the APK file and will put in all the Python packages that are needed.
But I'm still trying!
Have a good day!