Python Forum
High level Python program architectural design question - decoration for multiple ent
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High level Python program architectural design question - decoration for multiple ent
I’ve got a python program architecture/design question, that I’d love some input on.

Background

I’m a solid intermediate PY dev - with 1.5 years PY 3.7 coding exp, but also separately had over 10 years experience in architecture/design in other languages.

I’ve had this PY architecture problem going round in my head for a few weeks, and researched/googled/puzzled over what’s the best way to handle it, but I’m still not sure.

So basically I’m not a newbie asking how to do my homework, and I’ve done a bunch of thinking about the problem already and I’m stumped.

The problem below I've got working perfectly in prod right now - I just need to re-architect it to utilize common code for entry points and environment handling and I don't know how best to handle that in PY.

Problem Background
  • I have code that analyses groups of images. There are different types of groups - call them red, blue and green types of images. Each type of group has their own particular method of analysis on the images. call it red, green and blue tests.
    Though the specifics of each type of test on the image groups are different, the pre-processing and post-processing work is the same.
    Currently I have a separate PY prog for each type of group, call them red.py, blue.py etc.

I run these tests either locally or on AWS as lambda calls.
  • So each test has two different entry points, main() if local and lambda_handler() if in AWS.
    These entry points do usual entry point stuff - process arguments, setup logging, and initialisation etc.
    The entry points then call group specific code to do the actually image processing - so conceptually call something like: test_red(group_of_images) in red.py etc. So these calls are different for each different group type
    The entry point code is common across each of the different image types (and so each of the test files) - what varies is the code to actually test the images.

For speed, all the individual images are tested in parallel:

• In a local environment, the testing of each single image is done in parallel via multiprocessing using futures.
    So the test_red(images) group type specific functions submit a MP call for each image - so something like test_red(images) -> [test_red_image(single_red_image)]
    In AWS env, the MP is handled by spawning separate AWS lambda calls per image. This introduces a new intermediate AWS lambda handler function that needs to sit ‘around’ the test an individual image function: test_red(group_of_images) -> [lambda_worker(single_red_image) -> test_red_image(single_red_image)]
    lambda_worker() is wrapper around the single image test function to provide an AWS lambda entry point.
    In AWS environment, each of the calls to the lambda's are run in parallel via a multithreading via futures.

Problem

In each of my code files for each group type - so red.py, blue.py etc - the wrapper code for the entry points: main(), lambda_handler() and lambda_worker() is the same between each test.

Right now, I have that code written in each test file separately (red.py, green.py etc) (...not good!)

I would (obviously) like to move that code to a separate common file, that gets used by each test file.

I’m not sure how best to do that.

Questions

1. I assume decoration is the way to go - at a high level is that correct? Is there a better way to handle this than decoration?

If so, then using PY decorators (@) would be the obvious route - except that the @ decoration results in a single function replacing your undecorated function

So in my case this has two problems: a) in the main() and lambda_handler() top level wrapper, I need two separate functions to come out of the decoration, not a single wrapped function b) in the actual testing case, I need a new decorated function (lambda_handler()), but I also still need access to the original undecorated function.

2. So is it possible to handle this case via the standard python decorator operator (@), or because of (a) and (b) above, I need to do the decoration “by hand”?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Planning High Level Drawing Library nadapez 0 1,322 Oct-08-2021, 02:21 AM
Last Post: nadapez
  Looking for people for a Python/Data Science study group (beginner level) fredj32 3 2,380 Jul-02-2020, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Diogenes
  Design of scantling calculation program. Newbie ruy 2 2,927 Jun-03-2020, 02:37 PM
Last Post: ruy
  High level direction for my next project henricartierbresson 2 1,943 Jun-01-2020, 03:49 AM
Last Post: ndc85430
  Book 'Python in high school' arnbod 3 2,827 Apr-10-2020, 05:35 PM
Last Post: micseydel
  Book: "Python in high school" arnbod 1 2,746 Jun-03-2019, 02:12 PM
Last Post: heiner55
  Design pattern in python Prabakaran141 3 3,026 Nov-20-2018, 01:45 PM
Last Post: DeaD_EyE
  Can a python program execute an action on another software program? lex 4 3,938 Jan-26-2018, 03:10 PM
Last Post: buran
  How to gauge my level of Python proficiency? Athenaeum 7 11,382 Sep-29-2017, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Larz60+
  Should Python 3 become multi-threaded by design? uc1 4 3,664 Jul-30-2017, 04:31 AM
Last Post: Skaperen