Python Forum
Learning python with LPTHW
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Learning python with LPTHW
(Oct-10-2016, 04:29 PM)Larz60+ Wrote: As far as 'Learn python the hard way' is concerned. I no longer even try to include a python 2.7 version in any of my code.
It still works fine for many applications, but if used, you will miss out on so many fantastic new developments in python 3.whatever,
each version has something new for improving development time, performance, or such.

On C# - It built for MS Windows. There are versions converted to Linux, but to me that's like converting a Trawler to a catamaran.

As I said, for my long time goals, I probably don't need Python 3 and I most likely need C#.

(Oct-10-2016, 03:13 PM)metulburr Wrote:
(Oct-10-2016, 03:08 PM)diemildefreude Wrote: I'll try to do something game-related with Python if I can, to avoid boredom, but I don't know yet at what point I'll be ready to shift my focus to C#.
Lol i said the same thing regarding c++ 5 years ago....and i never went back

Is this because learning multiple languages is too hard or because Python is just so great? As I'm learning for the sake of game design, I don't see why I would not want to learn C# at some point, since it's required for the game software I want to learn...
Quote:because Python is just so great

This of course.  :D

It depends on what you want to do exactly. For C# I would have no interest since that is mostly limited to windows.  For C++, its not that its too hard, its that it has nothing more than i need as python has what i want. And there is no point in hassling with that language if i can do it with python.
Recommended Tutorials:
Changed the thread title to be less judgemental, in order to prevent holy-wars.

Old: What's wrong with LPTHW? What's better?
New: Learning python with LPTHW
(Oct-10-2016, 06:47 PM)Kebap Wrote: Changed the thread title to be less judgemental, in order to prevent holy-wars.

Old: What's wrong with LPTHW? What's better?
New: Learning python with LPTHW

Really the book is a plague on the python community and given the way Zed reacts to constructive criticism I see no reason to try to "play nice".
In his defense, the author does tell you you're going to learn python the hard way :lolsign:
If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
OS: Windows 10, openSuse 42.3, freeBSD 11, Raspian "Stretch"
Python 3.6.5, IDE: PyCharm 2018 Community Edition
I have to admit this was my first Python learning book. I left it really fast.
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
my first book was learning python by mark lutz 4th edition. This went quite in depth of all the fundamentals. The first 3 chapters up to page-ish 80 are just answering what is python, and how to run code. And that is nothing...the total page count is almost 1200...and i know the 5th edition added much more.
https://www.amazon.com/Learning-Python-5...1449355730
Recommended Tutorials:
I think I have it.
You sound a bit scary  :shy:
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
(Oct-10-2016, 11:11 PM)metulburr Wrote: my first book was learning python by mark lutz 4th edition.
I have this book too.  It is a great book.  My only complaint is that it doesn't use what we would these days consider proper python naming conventions (pep8).  I don't know if he fixed this in future editions .  The 4th edition actually teaches python 2 and 3 in parallel too which works quite well.
that is one thing it never went into too much detail about. He does define a little on page 646 regarding class and module name conventions. Im not sure if the 5th edition has this added or not.
Recommended Tutorials: