Python Forum
Length of a path in a 2-tuple.
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Length of a path in a 2-tuple.
Some homework that I have been struggling on mainly because I am unsure how to proceed. I have all the formulas I need but I haven't been able to find a useful online tutorial for how to get the necessary information out of a 2-tuple.

print (pathLength2d ([(0,0), (1,1)])) 
import math

def length (v):

""" Length of a vector in 2-space.

Params: v (2-tuple) vector in 2-space
    Returns: (float) length
    """
    number = 0
    for i in range(len(str(v))):
        number += v[i]**2
    return math.sqrt(number)
I know that's an error as it's trying to multiply an index of (0,0) by itself. I'm not asking for a full out solution, but a pointer in the right direction.

Thanks!
Could you provide a runnable snippet, and the full traceback that it produces? You first line of code calls a function you haven't defined, and I'm not sure what you're passing to length() or the exception you're having.
You can iterate directly over the tuple. Try:

for x in (1, 2):
    print(x)
If you know list comprehensions, you can use the sum function on one, and turn your function into one line of code. Otherwise you can drastically simplify your loop.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
(Sep-29-2016, 10:55 PM)micseydel Wrote: Could you provide a runnable snippet, and the full traceback that it produces? You first line of code calls a function you haven't defined, and I'm not sure what you're passing to length() or the exception you're having.

My bad. Basically we have to cut the program up into sections. I finally got it to output but I cannot:
1) Find a use for the length function
2) Am off by a slight margin, probably some float issue
import math
def length (v):

""" Length of a vector in 2-space.

Params: v (2-tuple) vector in 2-space
    Returns: (float) length
    """
    return math.sqrt(v[0]**2 + v[1]**2) #Returning the square of the coordinates. 

def dist (P,Q):

""" Distance in 2-space.

Params: 
        P (2-tuple): a point in 2-space
        Q (2-tuple): another point in 2-space
    Returns: (float) dist (P,Q)
    """
    return math.sqrt((Q[0]-P[0]) + (Q[1] - P[1])) #Returning two point's lengths added.

def pathLength2d (pt):

"""Length of a 2-dimensional path.

Standard length as measured by a ruler.

Params: pt (list of 2-tuples): path in 2-space
    Returns: (float) length of this path
    """

newNumber = 0 #Saving my answer into a new value.
    for i in range(len(pt)): #Iterate over the length of the tuple. 
        newNumber += dist(pt[0],pt[-1]) #I add the first and last coordinate of the tuple using the formula.
    return math.sqrt(newNumber) #Now that I think about it, this sqrt probably shouldn't be here...

print (pathLength2d ([(0,0), (1,1)])) #Root of 2

Solved it. I overthought the program a ton.
Python will very simply parse out everything for you (this is called 'unpacking'). Of course this only works for fixed-length items but his is the case here.

>>> (x1,y1),(x2,y2)=[(0,1), (2,3)]
>>> print x1,y1,x2,y2
0 1 2 3
Unless noted otherwise, code in my posts should be understood as "coding suggestions", and its use may require more neurones than the two necessary for Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.
Your one-stop place for all your GIMP needs: gimp-forum.net