Python Forum
Linux friendly motherboard for intel i5 6600K
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linux friendly motherboard for intel i5 6600K
Quote:one place i worked at had 756 disk drives and 32 tape drives
if you recall, limits back then were (usually) based on data size, usually with several bits reserved for identification.
yes a maximum of 8 bits (256 devices) per channel and (at that time) a maximum of 6 channels (we could have doubled the number of drives) on our pair of 370/168s running OS/MVS under VM/CP (we also had 4 other machines including a 370/158 which was operated kind of like my personal toy).

the 168's had 8 MB each and the 158 had 2 MB. that was a scary amount of RAM back then (my Apple II was maxxed out with 48 kB). today, my laptop has several times as much RAM as the total in that machine room. and faster, too.
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
I remember the PCB instruction for Honeywell Easycoder, can't remember the BAL equivalent, but pcb was peripheral control and branch instruction, and machine code was:
Output:
65 01 00 52 64 01 31 ... (... were the options) Octal 65 was the pcb op code, 0100 was the buffer address 52 was the channel 64 had something to do with action taken if busy can't remember the rest
This was coded in through rectangular buttons on the front of the computer which lit up when pressed, they were in groups of three for each octal digit, and in three rows, instruction address, data address, and memory. I could punch in a rather long program like playing a musical instrument. The time it took wasn't a concern as the only other way to do it was to punch up a bunch of 80 column cards and read them in, still requiring a manually entered bootstrap.
Quote:I know I'm a bit late
Only by a couple of years, but it's always good to know what's out there.
Actually, I'm an old time gamer. I usually play one or two in the evening on steam.
So if I find one that is a gaming motherboard and supports linux that would be fun.

Actually, I went to Boston today (actually Cambridge) to Microcenter (.com). I spent quite
a while looking at motherboards. It seems like they all use UEFI BIOS. A few minutes ago
I found https://motherboardinfo.com/best-motherb...-i5-6600k/
so maybe ufei is OK

I will study your suggested site this evening.
I started using Linux shortly after it's emergence in the early 1990's, but only experimentally. I had been using Unix (Oracle Solaris) on Sun Microsystems workstations for development of CAD/CAM software. The Linux command set was very similar to UNIX.

Later, I used Unix (Ultrix DEC version) beginning in 1991 for telecommunications (on Digital VAX systems).
We were able to process 80 million phone calls each day with this setup, and this before cell phones were freely available.

During the same period, our European operations (13 countries) all used Linux and by the year 2000 much of our work worldwide was done on Linux.

Microsoft windows was used for office applications, but was never powerful enough to do any CPU intensive work such as call record processing.
Linux was much more suited for the high speed work at that time, and is still my choice for large data operations.

I have done much python development work on Windows, and this is a good match for the work I was doing, that being said, I still preferred Linux over MS windows.

Linux has been my choice since that time, its kernel hasn't changed much over the years, which is a testament to it's design.

I've been designing and writing software since 1968.
If you want to play games on your PC, you can buy a dedicated programing and gaming laptop. But if you are looking for something more affordable, the ultimate solution is building a gaming PC yourself. Building a gaming PC is fun and doesn't require any previous experience.
what i'm looking for:

i need at least 32GB RAM (i'm hitting limits on 16GB) 1TB SSD is all i need but i would like to go with 2TB since i might need that in 2024. i don't need 4K at all, HD is enough (my old age vision can barely handle HD). it absolutely needs to work with Linux (including networking, audio, everything). i also need to know how to boot from a USB memory stick before the first time i power it on, so the installed Windows can be backed up before it ever boots up. a way to force device order at boot might work. my own Linux image needs to be the first thing that boots on this machine.
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.