Python Forum
Linux top, load average - meaning
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linux top, load average - meaning
Hello! I have a question for Linux users here, if I may :D
This is my output of "top" command at one instance:

I would like to know, what do numbers "1/71 249" in the Load average line mean?
Thank you!
JC
I dont even get those values on
The 3 decimals before that are the load averages. But i am not sure what those 2 are for. You might be able to find it in the man pages.
Recommended Tutorials:
Thanks for checking. I searched for many examples/explanations online and I haven't found any with the 2 extra values, only 3 numbers, same as you have. I'll look further to see if I get lucky =)
Do those numbers change?
Is this your machine?
Is it a vm?
Is it shared with other users?

I don't know what that is, just trying to get some more info.
(Sep-20-2016, 02:46 PM)nilamo Wrote: Do those numbers change?
Is this your machine?
Is it a vm?
Is it shared with other users?

I don't know what that is, just trying to get some more info.

#71 doesn't seem to be changing, number before 71 (1 in the photo) can go up to 4 sometimes. Third number also changes sometimes. But all of them are pretty constant.
It is actually an embedded Linux bare metal system.
2 people access it over Ethernet/SSH.
Ok, so I did some searching, and found this: http://stackoverflow.com/a/21621256

Quote:The fourth field consists of two numbers separated by a slash (/). The first of these is the number of currently executing kernel scheduling entities (processes, threads); this will be less than or equal to the number of CPUs. The value after the slash is the number of kernel scheduling entities that currently exist on the system. The fifth field is the PID of the process that was most recently created on the system.
That's fantastic, thank you! Honestly I came across this same SO answer. but didn't read it fully because at first it looked like most other sources of info I found before which didn't answer my question :D silly me
I have a kind of meta question...
I currently have a problem, about which I would like to ask on the forum. It is Linux related, so it's not about Python coding or Python in general. But the main issue is a Python process, which is a Python script, that makes supervisord CPU usage go high. So it is also Python related, since I would ask about Python-supervisord connection. Where would I post such question on this forum? Thanks.
(Sep-23-2016, 06:49 AM)j.crater Wrote: I have a kind of meta question...
I currently have a problem, about which I would like to ask on the forum. It is Linux related, so it's not about Python coding or Python in general. But the main issue is a Python process, which is a Python script, that makes supervisord CPU usage go high. So it is also Python related, since I would ask about Python-supervisord connection. Where would I post such question on this forum? Thanks.

If it was a pure linux question, i would say Bar

Quote:But the main issue is a Python process, which is a Python script, that makes supervisord CPU usage go high
But if your modifying a python script then it is a python question and thus would go in General Coding Help
Recommended Tutorials:
Alright, your reply suggests Bar is a slightly better fit for the question. If it proves opposite, it will be possible to migrate it anyway. Thanks!