Python Forum
Load JSON Data Over Several Templates
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Load JSON Data Over Several Templates
Summary and Background of What I'm Doing:

I'm creating a Flask quiz app which presents a user with three different options are allows them to input their answer using a form and submit button. I'm storing my key/values in a JSON file and I'm using ginja to load the data to the browser. Here's what the JSON file looks like:

[
{ "question": "What is the Capital of France?",
"option1":"Dublin",
"option2": "Paris",
"option3": "Cork",
"answer": "Paris",
"score": 0
},

{ "question": "What Was Freud's First Name",
"option1":"Fred",
"option2": "James",
"option3": "Sigmund",
"answer": "Sigmund",
"score": 0
}
]

My problem is related to how this data can be pass through several different pages using Flask. I can't seem to load or route this information to the browser and I don't really understand why. Here's my flask route:

@app.route("/")

@app.route('/question')
def question():
    data = []
    with open("data/quiz.json", "r") as json_data:
        data = json.load(json_data)
        return render_template('question1.html', quiz=data)

###This is the route I use to load and read my JSON file before calling my first template titled 'question1.html'###

@app.route('/capitals', methods=['POST'])
def capitals():
        answer = request.form["capitals"]
        if answer == "Paris":
            return render_template('welcome.html') 
        else:
            return "<h4>is not correct, guess again.</h4>" 

###This is my first template where I assign some simple logic to match the user's guess with the answer value. If the answer is correct, then the next question template is loaded###

@app.route('/welcome', methods=['POST'])
def welcome():
    return render_template('welcome.html')    

###And here's where the problem starts. The first page has the data loaded to the browser, but by the time I get to question two, the data doesn't appear anymore.###

HTML Code:

Here's what I wrote in welcome.html:

{% for object in quiz %}

<br>
{{ quiz[1]["question"] }}
<br>
<br>
{{ quiz[1]["option1"] }}
<br>
{{ quiz[1]["option2"] }}
<br>
{{ quiz[1]["option3"] }}
<br>

<form action="/welcome" method='POST'>
<br>
<input type="text" name="welcome" value="">
<br>
<br>
<input type="submit" value="Submit">
</form>

{% endfor %}

Just in case...

If you need any more information or if I haven't been clear enough or explain this well, please let me know and I'll fix it.

Thank you.
Can anybody help me out with this one? I'm not expecting an answer, just some pointers on what to do in a situation like this.
Can you provide a fully runnable example? Ideally minimized to include only code relevant to the problem at hand.
(Jan-03-2019, 01:00 AM)micseydel Wrote: Can you provide a fully runnable example? Ideally minimized to include only code relevant to the problem at hand.

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, mate. I'm really just looking for a way to use this function which reads the json file:
def question():
    data = []
    with open("data/quiz.json", "r") as json_data:
        data = json.load(json_data)
        return render_template('question1.html', quiz=data)
in the templates that follow. My problem is that I can read this JSON file into subsequent templates, i.e by the time I get to the welcome.html route, the function doesn't read the data into the template anymore. It reads into the question.html one, but now welcome.html.
You probably want to load the data outside of the route (otherwise it will be reloaded on every request, and file reads are blocking – only one can be done at a time) to increase the efficiency of your application.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to get json data by request with header? dokipo 0 1,912 Nov-06-2021, 04:51 PM
Last Post: dokipo
  Issue with json data pythonFresher 5 3,280 Apr-07-2019, 07:26 AM
Last Post: buran