Python Forum
Looping .xlsx files in folder/subfolders copy pasting currentregion
Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Looping .xlsx files in folder/subfolders copy pasting currentregion
How to loop folders and subfolders selecting currentregions associated with a key word?

I want to loop excel (.xlsx) files in a folder and subfolders, searching for a key word ('trust') in column A, of worksheet 'data', and selecting the currentregion with offset 1 row, 0 columns.

I am from a VB background hence the term 'currentregion', so if the word 'trust' was in cell ("A2"), I want the currentregion (contiguous populated area from cell ("A3").

I want to copy paste these data ranges into a master workbook called 'master.xlsx', pasting the data to sheet 'm_data', into the next available empty row in column "A".

I know I can import os for looping, presumably with a file mask, and openpyxl to read and write with .xlsx, I am not sure how to select currentregion in each file and copy to next empty row in the master file.

Any help/pointers would be most helpful.

I am using the latest python3 interpreter and openpyxl module in pycharm/ Cygwin with python on windows 7 x64.

Thanks, 

Q

*edit has failed.

I also wanted to know if I could use shelve and a shelfFile to maintain a list of the processed files.
I want to skip a file if it has been processed before. This would require filepath and filename as files in different subfolders may have the same name.
Use os.walk() for iteration over directory tree. The rest - show some effort
Test everything in a Python shell (iPython, Azure Notebook, etc.)
  • Someone gave you an advice you liked? Test it - maybe the advice was actually bad.
  • Someone gave you an advice you think is bad? Test it before arguing - maybe it was good.
  • You posted a claim that something you did not test works? Be prepared to eat your hat.
Thanks. It is the text search with selection of currentregion offset (1,0) that i am particularly interested in if you have any suggestions regarding this?
Google with python and currentregion keeps returning VB references, perhaps unsurprisingly. 

Q
I barely use openpyxl, but since cells of worksheet are addressable by column and row - see this example, iterating over row indices like that will give you cell values 
ws['A{}'.format(row_index)].value
PS Using other language terminology - who the f*ck is Alice, sorry VB Tongue does not help to understand you. Just talk cells, rows and columns - those are clear enough  Wink
Test everything in a Python shell (iPython, Azure Notebook, etc.)
  • Someone gave you an advice you liked? Test it - maybe the advice was actually bad.
  • Someone gave you an advice you think is bad? Test it before arguing - maybe it was good.
  • You posted a claim that something you did not test works? Be prepared to eat your hat.
Thanks

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Copy Paste excel files based on the first letters of the file name Viento 2 346 Feb-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: Viento
  Compare folder A and subfolder B and display files that are in folder A but not in su Melcu54 3 465 Jan-05-2024, 05:16 PM
Last Post: Pedroski55
  Rename files in a folder named using windows explorer hitoxman 3 692 Aug-02-2023, 04:08 PM
Last Post: deanhystad
  Rename all files in a folder hitoxman 9 1,384 Jun-30-2023, 12:19 AM
Last Post: Pedroski55
  .py pandas matplotlib .xlsx files QubeStory 1 756 Mar-23-2023, 09:38 AM
Last Post: buran
  Create new folders and copy files cocobolli 3 1,330 Mar-22-2023, 10:23 AM
Last Post: Gribouillis
  Copy only hidden files and folders with rsync Cannondale 2 951 Mar-04-2023, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Cannondale
  How to loop through all excel files and sheets in folder jadelola 1 4,327 Dec-01-2022, 06:12 PM
Last Post: deanhystad
  python move folders and subfolders not working mg24 5 2,070 Nov-09-2022, 02:24 PM
Last Post: Larz60+
  python gzip all files from a folder mg24 3 3,807 Oct-28-2022, 03:59 PM
Last Post: mg24