Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Loops in List
Hello everyone,

I'm new to Python and I'm having difficulty understanding why my Loop-List code doesn't work.

# loop in list

listA = list(range(0,101,5))

for i in range(len(listA)):
    print('Item no. ' + str(i+1) + ' is: ' + listA[i])
Please advise. Thank you.  Big Grin

for index, element in enumerate(listA, 1):
    print("Item no. {} is {}".format(index, element))
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
this is showing the perl philosophy that there is more than one way to do it.  so why not put str() around listA[i] so the original method works as intended?  what is wrong with minimal change?

# loop in list

print('Item no. ' + str(i+1) + ' is: ' + str(listA[i]) )
[/i][/i]
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
It's not wrong. print('Item no. ', (i+1), ' is: ', listA[i]) will work too. It's about routines. 

Hello, @SandraDan. As @Scaperen showed you, to concatenate strings they must be strings. listA[i] is an integer.
(Mar-11-2017, 08:04 AM)Skaperen Wrote: what is wrong with minimal change?
well, why not show a better way, 'pythonic' why?
(Mar-11-2017, 08:29 AM)wavic Wrote: It's not wrong. print('Item no. ', (i+1), ' is: ', listA[i]) will work too. It's about routines. 

Hello, @SandraDan. As @Scaperen showed you, to concatenate strings they must be strings. listA is an integer.

it did not work, unchanged, for me.  i think it should have, but i definitely got an error.

Output:
lt1/forums /home/forums 6> cat foo.py # loop in list   listA = list(range(0,101,5))   for i in range(len(listA)):     print('Item no. ' + str(i+1) + ' is: ' + listA[i]) lt1/forums /home/forums 7> py3 foo.py Traceback (most recent call last):   File "foo.py", line 6, in <module>     print('Item no. ' + str(i+1) + ' is: ' + listA[i]) TypeError: Can't convert 'int' object to str implicitly lt1/forums /home/forums 8>
wrapping it in str() made it work.  it had been my understanding that print() would apply repr() to any non-string argument it got.  i learned i was wrong.

(Mar-11-2017, 08:50 AM)buran Wrote:
(Mar-11-2017, 08:04 AM)Skaperen Wrote: what is wrong with minimal change?
well, why not show a better way, 'pythonic' why?

if that is the direction we want newbies to go in very early then we should explain it in all cases where a non-pythonic way fails and working pythonic code is given.  and explaining why [i]that code is pythonic would be a plus.

my look on it is what did the poster do wrong.  if what the poster did wrong was not code in a pythonic way, then that should be said.

i highlighted "that" and clicked on the italicize button.  it showed up for me correctly in the edit window and in the preview.  then when i posted it seems to have lost the closing tag ... maybe a bug in post merging?
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
@scaperen, you are right. print('Item no. ', (i+1), ' is: ', listA[i]) works if the list is created without the 'start' and 'step' parameters because the loop gets the value. So the list has 21 elements and after the 5th iteration, the next value is 25 and if we use it as an index... well, it prints index out of range error. 

Your error message is strange  Cool 

Anyway! I use print(var1, var2, etc.) only for testing. Why I've used str.format() in my example? Because when one does the things in one way he/she create a habit. I've seen it in myself.
(Mar-12-2017, 04:43 AM)Skaperen Wrote: it had been my understanding that print() would apply repr() to any non-string argument it got.

It does. The error happens before that point. First it evaluates the argument it gets, then it applies repr. The error comes in the evaluation, when + listA[i] tries to add an integer to a string.

Edit: Didn't think it through. print applies str() to any non-string argument it gets. Typing an argument into the interactive console gives the repr().
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
(Mar-10-2017, 09:30 PM)wavic Wrote:

for index, element in enumerate(listA, 1):
    print("Item no. {} is {}".format(index, element))

@wavic I don't understand this version of the code. I would have to learn more about Python to be able to grasp this. But thank you very much for your advice.  Wink

(Mar-11-2017, 08:04 AM)Skaperen Wrote: this is showing the perl philosophy that there is more than one way to do it.  so why not put str() around listA[i] so the original method works as intended?  what is wrong with minimal change?

# loop in list

print('Item no. ' + str(i+1) + ' is: ' + str(listA[i]) )
[/i][/i]

@Skaperen yeah this worked! Thanks so much!
(Mar-12-2017, 05:22 PM)SandraDan Wrote: @wavic I don't understand this version of the code. I would have to learn more about Python to be able to grasp this. But thank you very much for your advice.
This is called string formatting. {} is where the positional arguments in the string format() method is replaced with.
Here is a simple example:

a = 'one'
b = 'two'
c = 'three'

print("Count to 3:\n{}\n{}\n{}".format(a, b, c))
Output:
Count to 3: one two three

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  for loops break when I call the list I'm looping through Radical 4 824 Sep-18-2023, 07:52 AM
Last Post: buran
  Using recursion instead of for loops / list comprehension Drone4four 4 3,072 Oct-10-2020, 05:53 AM
Last Post: ndc85430
  Help with List Loops slackerman73 4 2,680 Nov-25-2019, 07:49 AM
Last Post: perfringo
  Adding items in a list (using loops?) Seneca260 6 2,705 Nov-22-2019, 11:34 AM
Last Post: Seneca260
  simple list check with loops Low_Ki_ 23 15,160 Jan-09-2017, 03:58 AM
Last Post: Larz60+