Python Forum
March Madness - Please give advice on my project thought
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
March Madness - Please give advice on my project thought
I'm quite new to python, but in the last few weeks I've learned concepts like lists, dictionaries, tuples, opening and reading text files, and storing data from the text files to new lists. One of the challenges of a non-programmer learning programming is that I don't always have ideas for projects to continue to refine and solidify what I've learned. Welcome: March Madness. I thought a fun project might be to get people to input their picks into an excel file that can be exported to text (because I don't know how to look at excel directly yet), where each game outcome is a unique position (list index 0 through 62, because there are 63 game outcomes). Then, I could potentially run a loop that would simulate one permutation of tournament outcome and store the data, compare it to the list of an individual person's picks, score the "bracket" and announce the winner. A more sophisticated program could then do ALL permutations of the tournament (there are many billion before the tournament starts...I believe 2^63), and record the potential "winner" under all permutations. As the tournament goes on, I could somehow load in the actual results to update the tournament permutations with actual results.

I think a project like this might be good at using lists, potentially dictionaries, loops, tuples, etc.

I'm posting here because I'm asking for suggestions for how best to structure something like this, given the limited knowledge that I have. I think taking the permutations/actual results and comparing them to a person's picks/scoring is relatively straightforward, but I have no idea how to go about doing the permutations in the first place. Any help is appreciated and if this is all way too complex for my current python understanding, you can tell me that too. Despite the subject matter, this is just a fun project to increase my understanding and I am not a gambler, though I am a sports fan. Thanks in advance for your help.
I'm not familiar with basketball but generating permutations seems pretty straightforward, although to make it even more so there's a built-in for that.
Yes, I figured this would be the best approach, though in the first round (2^32 options) I was running out of memory. I'll play with the permutations though and see if I can come up with something. Thanks.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  a command to write i just thought of Skaperen 0 1,348 Apr-12-2020, 03:18 AM
Last Post: Skaperen
  Seeking Advice: Multiple workstations for one project mfayler 6 6,963 Oct-18-2016, 08:25 PM
Last Post: snippsat