Python Forum
Measurement UI - Browser-based or GUI
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Measurement UI - Browser-based or GUI
I need some suggestions and advice on what systems/framework to use to build a measurememt app/program.

sorry for the basic question, but this is more complex than i thought ans it being my first project of that magnitude suggestions are welcome on where to start.

I need to do several electrical/optical measurements using different measurement equipment in our lab. The equipment can be connected via ethernet and the communication can be done via the visa interface. I want to avoid using labview and was thinking about the python visa package, which works to communicate with the equipment. So, the communication part is fixed on using python.

Now there is the question of the UI where I need some advice. It should be a clean UI. I need to select the measurement I want to conduct. According to that I am presented with some 2-4 parameters I can specify which are forwarded to the according tool/s which conducts the measurement and the results are communicated back and should be plotted, either after the measurement or in realtime, then save together with the raw data.

Later the setup should be more automatized with automated x, y movement and image recognition. That means I need a modular approach, wich can easily be extended.

The question is what to use: A simple python gui like tkinter, a browser based ui with maybe flask and/or angular to be platform independent and can be operated from anywhere. Also, with the equipmemt being connected by network.l What would you use in a project like that? It is supposed to be a more long term solution, easily extendable and "future" save and independent on commercial software licences.

Thank you very much for your advice. Ask me for more information.