Python Forum
Module/library recommendation GUI app launcher
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Module/library recommendation GUI app launcher
Hi Everyone, I have recently learned python and started working on my first custom program I am making a simple GUI application launcher that displays app icons. I use i3wm so there isn’t any real menus with icons and just thought it would be a fun project. Anyway I started with tkinter using button images but that didn’t look correct and I tried Gtk. I would prefer to stay with Gtk because it ingrates my default theme well but again the button image I just don’t think is the correct way to do this. Can someone point in the right direction of a module/library that would work well to display application icons and them click on them to start and app. I found a couple apps written in pyGtk but there more like dmenu then an actual GUI menu so they didn’t help we’ll any help would be great.

Just so everyone gets the idea basically I just want a window that displays all my .desktop apps with there icon that I can click on I feel like I could make either tkinter or Gtk work but it feels like I am making them do something that there not the best at maybe I am wrong and I just need to polish my code more but I would think there is a better way to do this then make buttons.
Thanks,
Jason

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hour Calculator- GUI Recommendation slighted03 4 2,565 Sep-30-2019, 03:03 PM
Last Post: Denni
  [PyQt] Linux - Application translation not load when run from .desktop launcher dancaer69 2 2,250 May-19-2019, 06:01 PM
Last Post: dancaer69