Python Forum
Poll: Bring back the original codebox?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Bring back the original codebox and let users choose whether they want default codebox (simpler) or use the syntax highlighted codebox
20.00%
1 20.00%
Keep only the syntax highlighted code box
60.00%
3 60.00%
Keep only the default original codebox
20.00%
1 20.00%
Total 5 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More codebox issues
(Oct-13-2016, 01:38 PM)Kebap Wrote: I like the new syntax highlighting. Would hate to loose it again so quickly. Vote for keeping and reviewing later.
See no reason at all to remove it.
(Oct-13-2016, 01:38 PM)Kebap Wrote: Yes, there are complicated ways to fix the issue while posting copied text
The problem should be easy to understand,
when know that MyBB can take in preserved(invisible HTML tag) when copy code from web.
Push View Source button to see what actually gets copied into a thread.
There also Remove Formatting button,that is made for dealing whit this.

There is possible to make a cheat sheet(image) with some solution,
and make it clear that this can happen when copy code for web and not a text source.
(Oct-12-2016, 08:20 AM)wavic Wrote: It's because of our habits. Instead using CTRL+SHIFT+V to paste as plain text, we use CTRL+V, which causes the problem.

I think this might be my problem. I am just out of habit using CTRL + v and not even thinking about it. 

I made a quick screencast of the same issue -> fix via GUI solution. Maybe throw this in the help BBcode or something for people like me   :doh:

Recommended Tutorials:
OK, this is getting a bit frustrating. I just responded to a question in which I tried to post some code and ended up with all the html tags. I went back and highlighted the code, hit the 'remove formatting' button and got the same thing. Went back and highlighted the code AND the bracketed python then hit the 'remove formatting' button and it finally worked.

So my thought is this, the syntax highlighting is cool, but not necessary. If you have to jump thru hoops like 'copy as plain text', create cheatsheets, use 'cntrl + shift + v' and so on, to me it's not worth it. I would rather just have it like the old forum where I just clicked the 'code' button and placed the code between the code tags.

If I'm getting frustrated, imagine a new user. Imho the forum should target the 'least tech savvy' not the most. I don't know BBCode, myBB code, html and I'm not here to learn it, I'm here for Python.

Sorry for the rant. I will now go and pout in the corner.
If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
OS: Windows 10, openSuse 42.3, freeBSD 11, Raspian "Stretch"
Python 3.6.5, IDE: PyCharm 2018 Community Edition
Quote:So my thought is this, the syntax highlighting is cool, but not necessary. If you have to jump thru hoops like 'copy as plain text', create cheatsheets, use 'cntrl + shift + v' and so on, to me it's not worth it. I would rather just have it like the old forum where I just clicked the 'code' button and placed the code between the code tags.

If I'm getting frustrated, imagine a new user. Imho the forum should target the 'least tech savvy' not the most. I don't know BBCode, myBB code, html and I'm not here to learn it, I'm here for Python.
This is exactly why i think we should have two code boxes. Keep the syntax highlighter...because its cool  :cool:...but  bring back the old code box. And then those that are not tech savy can use the default code box...and the people that want their code highlighted...can "figure out" the process of using the syntax higlighted code box.

I once had to teach my dad (at the time 62 years old) how to copy and paste via GUI (mouse). IT took me an hour. A few months later i foundthat i have to explain it to him again. I could not imagine someone like him coming to this forum...and trying to figure out BBCode tags...let alone the understanding of remove formatting. 

I think we should put it to a poll to bring back the default code box or not.
Recommended Tutorials:
So we have two code boxes and the user may choose which one she wants to use?

Don't think we need a poll for that as it doesn't remove any functionality.
(Oct-13-2016, 04:31 PM)Kebap Wrote: Don't think we need a poll for that as it doesn't remove any functionality.
Its adding functionality...as it currently stands no one can use the default code box currently. But it might cause some confusion as to what code box to use...and the purpose of having two of them, etc. etc. Not sure if that would be less or more confusion as the syntax codebox is or not. Also by bringing back the default codebox (the php codebox) comes along with it. Thw switch only allows for none or both. Of course we can tinker with that code...but who knows...some things seem to be more complex than they appear.

Im also not sure what the majority wants. Ive heard some people say get rid of either or.
Recommended Tutorials:
I can live without highlighted code with the default code tag if it's numbering the lines
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  codebox usage help doc metulburr 0 1,674 Oct-31-2020, 12:12 PM
Last Post: metulburr
  single/double quote escapes codebox highlighter metulburr 3 3,529 Aug-08-2017, 01:36 PM
  codebox borders metulburr 15 15,930 Nov-24-2016, 04:04 AM
Last Post: snippsat
  URL not showing properly in comments of codebox Larz60+ 4 5,555 Nov-05-2016, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Larz60+
  Syntax Highlighter Codebox Issues metulburr 38 28,362 Oct-06-2016, 01:06 AM