Python Forum
My first Python project - Snake game
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My first Python project - Snake game
Hi guys,

after being a PHP and JS developer for many years, I decided to give Python a shot. I love it so far.

Here's my first little project - a fully playable Snake game made with Pygame.

Have fun!

Controls:
- arrow keys to move a Snake
- hold the spacebar to speed up the snake if you're impatient in the beginning of the game
- spacebar to restart the game after we die
- Q to quit

Reviews highly appreciated.

Source code: https://github.com/bearek/snake
Hey, it's great that you're getting into Python. It really made me feel a lot more confident about putting my ideas together in code, and ever since I started using it I've literally done nothing but write little games and scripts, it got me always coming up with new ideas because I know I can actually make them now.

Anyways so I really checked out your code and I'm still working out some things I thought you might like to see, which I would have done a little differently. Generally though for your first project this is impressive, looks like it paid off having past experience programming in other languages. I can post the revised code later once I finish, if you like, but as for review I'd say you took advantage of object orientation which is a good sign lol.

I'm not entirely sure why you put snake settings and such in separate classes from the object it's used in, so unless you had the intention to use those for something I'm not seeing, I might have just clumped them in with their corresponding object classes. Pygame also has a built 2D Vector class "pygame.math.Vector2" but it doesn't really hurt to use your own, and more power to you for taking advantage of the magic "dunder" methods.

One thing I was trying to figure out is how you used the "game_active" variable to limit the game speed. It seems to work ok but I think if you instead looked into limiting frame rate using a pygame Clock "pygame.time.Clock" you could achieve more responsive event handling.

The last thing I'd recommend is instead of immediately calling "sys.quit()" upon pressing q, give the snake class a "running" variable and set it to true upon initialization. Then instead of "while True" for your main game loop use "while self.running" like this.

def run_game(self) -> None:
    while self.running:
        self._check_events()
Also you would then change the code for when q is pressed to "self.running = False", and finally change the main loop at the bottom of snake.py to
if __name__ == "__main__":
    snake = Snake()
    snake.run_game()
    pygame.quit()
    sys.exit()
Edit:
The reason for handling quits this way is so the game has a chance to properly quit, as opposed to quitting the instant you click q. This also gives you a chance to save any last minute configurations and ensure any file operations have completed before exiting. I realized I hadn't explained my reasoning for this so I wanted to clarify. I also changed the main loop code a bit, though as your project grows and you have more stuff to do upon exiting it could be a better idea to put the quit and cleanup calls in it's own "terminate()" method. Like this:

def terminate():
    # Put any last minute cleanup code here
    pygame.quit()
    sys.exit()
Then just change the main loop to:

if __name__ == "__main__":
    snake = Snake()
    snake.run_game()
    terminate()
End of edit:

All in all this is really good for your first project and I'm glad you found Python cause it's really awesome Smile . Hope that helps at least a little, thanks.

Edit: Fixed the code sections
I'd actually want to create something similar as a first project
It good, the file structure could be better but really good for your first project
but please add a requirements.txt next time to make it easier for other people to use

Quote:at first make a virtual environment with
pip install virtualenv
cd /yourproject
virtualenv venv (venv can be anything you want)
.\venv\Scripts\activate (To activate it)
now you can install all the dependencies, when your done doing that do
pip freeze > requirements.txt
also if you clone a repo and it has this file just do the same steps except the installation part and instead of
Quote:pip freeze > requirements.txt
do pip install -r requirements.txt and it will install everything