Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
N00bie
I am completely new to coding. I've gone through a rough-patch in life, been through hell, but came through the other side wanting to get into the field of data science.
After figuring out finally what I want to do with myself (I'm 26, btw), I've explored the field of computer science pretty thoroughly. It is hard for me to settle down to code rather then tour this "other world" and try to lay basic foundations for my approach into this realm.
My question is as follows:
I have a hard time sitting through a lot of these tutorials (Youtube, CodingBootCamp, MIT free courses, etc.), because from what I learned in this industry, you need to have a clear mind about WHAT YOU WANT TO DO with something like Python, in order to be experienced with that particular skill set.
Does anybody know where I can find these path-endings so that I can narrow down my search and delve into the journey towards these sub-fields?
I prefer data science but can appreciate any intel on something else that can be useful.

Thank you!
Hi,

I am sort of like you, I am just getting into coding but I had an idea long ago that I would like it just never actually sat down and just did it. I think there is a misconception that you are buying into and that is, having a clear mind and knowing what to do with Python or any programming language for that matter right from the get go.

Your main goal right now is to learn to be a programmer. I'm not talking about this language or that language, there is a mind set you have to learn and understand to actually create a solid foundation to learn an actual programming language. There are concepts like loops for instance, when to apply a for or a while loop. There is also comments which are super important for every programmer to understand because it communicates what blocks of code are and what it is meant to do.

So what I would recommend doing is getting a free app that teaches the core fundamentals of coding and one that actually uses games to convey those principles. It's fun and a brilliant starting point. One of the most helpful apps I have used to learn the basics of being a programmer is called Swift Playgrounds found in the app store for Apple and you have to have a device compatible to use. So for me that is an iPad. The app is a perfect starting point for learning the absolute basics but more importantly to develop confidence in yourself. However, be prepared to fail, a lot. It's all a part of the growing experience with programming and know this, every time my code didn't work and I figured out what I did wrong I gained massive confidence in my abilities.

There is also an app for Python called Learn Python which I just downloaded and will try out in the coming days.
I have one question; do you like or even love puzzles? I ask this, because I feel that this the basic mindset that one must have to truly get into programming regardless of what "language", be it Python, C or even BASIC, that one uses. If your answer is yes, then you should find it easy to settle down and start learning once you make up your mind to do so. Your goal should be to learn and keep on learning.
If not, then perhaps hardware and networks might be the way that you would want to go.
I am 71 and prefer to use real, printed books to learn from. I like detailed, full of information type of books, which seem to be too much for a lot of the younger generations. One need to look at the reviews of such books and read that there are many "too much. . . information, data, examples and on and on" complaints.
I agree with your mindset OldSubSailor. When I started getting more involved with programming using the Swift Playgrounds or now with Code Combat, I found trying to figure out the puzzle to be very therapeutic. I enjoy sitting in front of the computer and coding IDE and working the problem over and over until I get it right. Even when it works I try to refine my code to make it more fluid and simplistic. It's very calming to me, something that for once in my life I can actually say I truly enjoy.