Python Forum
NameError: name 'countryDat' is not defined
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hey, so I'm new to Python and I attempted to practice what I learned from tutorials by making a program that gives you how many years you have to live based on life expectancy in a country, your age, and if you smoke or not. I use Python 3.6.2 in PyCharm.

def calc_life(age, country, smoke):
    '''
    I made a list of three countries and another with their life expectancy average. I also make a counter 'y'
    to use in the 'for x in countryList' loop.
    '''
    countryTime = [75, 85, 90]
    countryList = ["Mexico", "US", "Canada"]
    global countryDat, smokeDat
    y = 0

for x in countryList:       #This loop gets the life expectancy of the country. The result is 'countryDat'
        if x is country:
            countryDat = countryTime[y]
        else:
            y = y + 1

if smoke is "Yes":          #This loop is to assign a value to smokeDat depending if the person smokes
        smokeDat = -10
    elif smoke is "No":
        smokeDat = 0

time = (countryDat - age) + smokeDat    #This just adds the previous results to get the remaning expected years of the person
    return time

#This just asks the user the info needed for the 'calc_life' funcion
print("How old are you?")
age = int(input())
print("In what country do you live? (Mexico, US, or Canada)")
country = input()
print("Do you smoke?")
smoke = input()

result = calc_life(age, country, smoke)

print(result)
I get the following when I run it:
How old are you?
In what country do you live? (Mexico, US, or Canada)
US
Do you smoke?
No
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:/Users/josea/PycharmProjects/untitled/asdf.py", line 33, in <module>
    result = calc_life(age, country, smoke)
  File "C:/Users/josea/PycharmProjects/untitled/asdf.py", line 22, in calc_life
    time = (countryDat - age) + smokeDat    #This just adds the previous results to get the remaning expected years of the person

Process finished with exit code 1
I've searched for solutions on the web and spent hours trying to find out what was wrong, but either they didn't work or solved the NameError and made another error appear. Thanks in advance.
This line is probably tripping you up:

if x is country:
The is operator is not the same as equals. It means that both variables point to the same place in memory, that they are not only equal, but that they are the exact same thing. Try:

if x == country:
instead. Also, it would work better to use a dictionary for that information. If you haven't studied those yet, look them up. I believe there's a tutorial on them in the tutorials section of this site.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
Thanks! I can't believe I spent hours trying to figure it out while the mistake was so small...
(Aug-27-2017, 08:59 PM)alien748 Wrote: Thanks! I can't believe I spent hours trying to figure it out while the mistake was so small...

Welcome to computer programming.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I'm getting a NameError: ...not defined. vonArre 2 152 Mar-24-2024, 10:25 PM
Last Post: vonArre
  Getting NameError for a function that is defined JonWayn 2 1,056 Dec-11-2022, 01:53 PM
Last Post: JonWayn
Question Help with function - encryption - messages - NameError: name 'message' is not defined MrKnd94 4 2,771 Nov-11-2022, 09:03 PM
Last Post: deanhystad
  [split] NameError: name 'csvwriter' is not defined. Did you mean: 'writer'? cathy12 4 3,198 Sep-01-2022, 07:41 PM
  NameError: name ‘app_ctrl’ is not defined 3lnyn0 0 1,457 Jul-04-2022, 08:08 PM
Last Post: 3lnyn0
  NameError: name 'hash_value_x_t' is not defined Anldra12 5 1,863 May-13-2022, 03:37 PM
  NameError: name 'cross_validation' is not defined tmhsa 6 13,179 Jan-17-2022, 09:53 PM
Last Post: TropicalHeat
  NameError: name “x” is not defined ... even though x is defined campjaybellson 7 14,667 Oct-20-2021, 05:39 PM
  NameError: name 'Particle' is not defined in Pygame drunkenneo 4 3,298 Aug-15-2021, 06:12 PM
Last Post: bowlofred
  NameError: name 'u1' is not defined (on parser code Python) Melcu54 1 2,843 Jul-26-2021, 04:36 PM
Last Post: snippsat