Python Forum
Creating a list from a comprehension using a list
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Creating a list from a comprehension using a list
keyIDs = list(jsonData.keys())   #list of IDs
listOfValsFromKeys = students[keyIDs[i] for i in range(len(keyIDs))]    #list of names
When I run the lines above, I get a syntax error in between the 'for' and the 'i'. I cannot work out why this is the case. Could someone enlighten me?
It isn't clear what you're trying to accomplish. students[...] suggests slicing a sequence named "students", but you can't use a list comprehension for that. Please clarify the objective and the data types/structures at play.

Also, line two does not need range(len()). You can just use the iterable in Python.

for i in keyIDs:
(Sep-30-2019, 06:41 PM)stullis Wrote: It isn't clear what you're trying to accomplish. students[...] suggests slicing a sequence named "students", but you can't use a list comprehension for that. Please clarify the objective and the data types/structures at play.

Also, line two does not need range(len()). You can just use the iterable in Python.

for i in keyIDs:

Thanks, instead of 'students' I was meant to put 'jsonData'. I'm trying to do this with comprehensions instead of using for loops.
Trying to do what with comprehensions instead of loops. Replacing "students" with "jsonData" will still have the same error. What is the end goal?
(Sep-30-2019, 06:46 PM)stullis Wrote: Trying to do what with comprehensions instead of loops. Replacing "students" with "jsonData" will still have the same error. What is the end goal?

listOfValsFromKeys = jsonData[keyIDs[i] for i in range(len(keyIDs))]    #list of names
jsonData is a dictionary that has a key and properties linked to that key. I would like keyIDs to have the keys of the Json (which is working) and listOfValsFromKeys to have the properties linked to these keys. This code currently gives a sytax error but having looked at other examples of comprehensions, I can't see how a syntax error would be given.
Okay, now I'm tracking. To do that, we need to move jsonData into the comprehension.

listOfValsFromKeys = [jsonData[i] for i in keyIDs]
Of course, you could also use dict.values() instead. It performs the same operation as dict.keys() except it returns the values instead of keys.
(Sep-30-2019, 06:54 PM)stullis Wrote: Okay, now I'm tracking. To do that, we need to move jsonData into the comprehension.

listOfValsFromKeys = [jsonData[i] for i in keyIDs]
Of course, you could also use dict.values() instead. It performs the same operation as dict.keys() except it returns the values instead of keys.

Great thanks :)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  List Comprehension Issue johnywhy 5 440 Jan-14-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: Pedroski55
Question mypy unable to analyse types of tuple elements in a list comprehension tomciodev 1 427 Oct-17-2023, 09:46 AM
Last Post: tomciodev
  No matter what I do I get back "List indices must be integers or slices, not list" Radical 4 1,091 Sep-24-2023, 05:03 AM
Last Post: deanhystad
  Delete strings from a list to create a new only number list Dvdscot 8 1,466 May-01-2023, 09:06 PM
  Using list comprehension with 'yield' in function tester_V 5 1,176 Apr-02-2023, 06:31 PM
Last Post: tester_V
  List all possibilities of a nested-list by flattened lists sparkt 1 878 Feb-23-2023, 02:21 PM
Last Post: sparkt
  Сheck if an element from a list is in another list that contains a namedtuple elnk 8 1,738 Oct-26-2022, 04:03 PM
  Creating list of lists, with objects from lists sgrinderud 7 1,564 Oct-01-2022, 07:15 PM
Last Post: Skaperen
Question Keyword to build list from list of objects? pfdjhfuys 3 1,500 Aug-06-2022, 11:39 PM
Last Post: Pedroski55
  list comprehension 3lnyn0 4 1,360 Jul-12-2022, 09:49 AM
Last Post: DeaD_EyE