Python Forum
Need some directions about learning python with my disability
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need some directions about learning python with my disability
I am 33 year old with autism. It's very hard for me to talk to people unless it's via text.
Recently, my employer sold the business onward and I've been made redundant, after 10 years
of light DevOps-style work.

I've actually done a few things in Python and I think that's my best chance right now to
stay self-sufficient.

My problem with learning is not that I can't grasp complex or abstract mechanisms.
It's that I become enraged at even microscopic inaccuracies (not saying I don't make
mistakes myself!). I like to idealise knowledge and get down to the elements of everything
I study, as opposed to more normal learning processes, where people don't care about things
they don't need.

Right now, I have some budget to sit down and acquire knowledge but I have to bet on the best
tools for learning that I can get - please help me with that!

My plan is to combine a beginner book + weekly tutor + I have a nice udemy voucher

The core of the learning will have to be some sort of book or online resource but, because
of my learning disability, I need to ask you for a book recommendation that fits the
following criteria:

1. Has to be written by someone who is passionate about programming from a computer science
point of view. Meaning, that the author leads an intellectual discussion and develops their
points fully rather than an author who tries to keep the audience awake with silly jokes
and skims points that they think are not vital.

2. Has to be relatively comprehensive

3. Has to be up to date: Python 3.7.0 and upwards

4. Has to provide some discussion about the python development ecosystem (pip, project
structure in IDE, unit testing, building of solutions)

5. Has to have a good amount of exercises for each module. Logical, syntax, maths,
corner-shots, gotchas and real-life projects

6. Has to have answers to the module questions, showing elegant and professional
grade coding

Funny thing is that I easily pass technical tests for junior python roles, as I appear
to know something about it but, while I can definitely learn on the job, I absolutely
do not feel comfortable picking up the basics on-the-fly.
In other words: I feel like I need to have solid basics before I start R&D for the
challenges at work

PS: Apologies for my lengthy post
there are scholarships (and advice) available for this, see: https://www.codingautism.com/
Thank you but I am not a US resident.

Also, I am more interested in a book recommendation, please :)
(Aug-22-2019, 02:19 PM)Mustey Wrote: 3. Has to be up to date: Python 3.7.0 and upwards
There are probably not a lot of books (if any?) for python3.7+. IF there are they are probably lightweight. It takes time to write a book or even edit to update it. Im still waiting for the 6th edition of Learning Python where the latest was python3.3.

Anyways that book linked is my favorite book about python. It gets involved. However i dont think there are many exercises. Its more of a reference book with explanation. Its the first book i learned python from in the beginning and i had to reread it more than once. There are not exercises but you can follow along with the examples obviously. I havent read many basics python books, so my knowledge about comparisons are limited.
Recommended Tutorials: