Python Forum
New Users Introduce Yourself
Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 4.44 Average
New Users Introduce Yourself
Hey Fan. There's actually a New Users thread stickied at the top of this forum. That's where people generally post hello. No problem though. Welcome to the board.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
(Jun-25-2018, 03:36 AM)ichabod801 Wrote: Hey Fan. There's actually a New Users thread stickied at the top of this forum. That's where people generally post hello. No problem though. Welcome to the board.

Haha my bad, I must have overlooked that thread. Thanks for merging Buran. Is there a refraction point system in this forum by the way? Or is it left to the moderators to give warnings and punishments?

This forum seems to have a lot of active staff that's really cool.
(Jun-25-2018, 12:15 PM)Fan Wrote: Is there a refraction point system in this forum by the way? Or is it left to the moderators to give warnings and punishments?
Please, take a time to read our Help/Rules section
there you will find answer to most/all of your questions, e.g.
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself, Albert Einstein
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way: link and another link
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

Hi All,
New member here and excited to be a part of python forum as found tons of informative threads with useful posts and links. I will try to be active and hope to be greeted!
Hi CulverCurt! Welcome to the Forums, we are happy to see active new folks aboard, enjoy your stay!
welcome and enjoy!
Hello, I am a chemist, but have gotten interested in programming since I took a beginning programming class at my local community college. I am interested in data science. Python is the main language used for it, so I am teaching myself python. I hope I can rely on some of you experienced programmers for help when I have problems. I would greatly appreciate it.
Watch out, a lot of chemists tasted the waters of programming and never left, same with electronic engineers, mechanical engineers, and mathematicians.
Have fun!
Hello,
my .py story...

I needed a issue solved with certain web page when the webmasters upgraded to JSON.
Before, my project was entirely Excel VBA. VBA does not "talk" much with JSON.
It was suggested to use Python to solve the problem, and it did.
So 3 scripts were written for me to solve this glitch, I had to download Python and use IDLE to make things work. And it work a charm.
Although I did not understand the .py coding in these scripts, the scripts are just there "activated" by .bat files, which are activated by vba. Python can then do the "negotiating" with the JSON requirement.

The time came to get into it and learn Python, as I will need a few more scripts, maybe eventually many more stuff progressively from Excel VBA to .py

One of the main things my project does is "Dynamic Web Query" using VBA. I guess here it's termed as scraping ?

It's only one web page I deal with, numbers and real time updates of those numbers, fully automated, one click, sit back and watch Excel graph and crunch the real-time info.

But it's days are numbered, the "Dynamic Web Query" using VBA will no longer be able to , query, ( or scrape ) because it will be a upgraded web page, not html.

This is where I hope Python will be able to solve the problem if and when the web page owners upgrade. It's on the cards , but we don't know when.
I hope to make a proto-type web scraper in time, so that the same info can be obtained.

------------

Recently I have had various tries at doing the suggested things, like use Bsoup, anaconda, and a whole lot more suggestions to get me started, try a few tutorials, not use IDLE but use some other, update Python versions, not use certain versions, use other versions, and the list of tries goes on and on.

I now have uninstalled everything, again. The last uninstall was the anaconda way.

It would to a pip download set up, I could not get Bsoup to work, I got as far as a "hello world" using spyder, but could not get to see what a web scrape even looks like.

Those who suggested things no longer reply, and yes I got the hints, the RTFMS and all that, thankyou.

So, I am here, before I go to the local university notice board and pin up a note, " I WILL PAY SOMEONE WHO UNDERTANDS WHAT RTFM IS, AND SET UP MY PC TO RUN A PYTHON SCRIPT",
what can you people suggest I do ?

What version of Python, what other stuff is required.

Window 7 Pro OS

Thanks
(Jul-10-2018, 05:59 PM)bluedoor5 Wrote: So, I am here, before I go to the local university notice board and pin up a note, " I WILL PAY SOMEONE WHO UNDERTANDS WHAT RTFM IS, AND SET UP MY PC TO RUN A PYTHON SCRIPT",
what can you people suggest I do ?

What version of Python, what other stuff is required.
Welcome bluedoor5.
We have several tutorial on this forum that is updated and can help you on the way.
Python 3.6/3.7 and pip installation under Windows
Web-Scraping part-1
bluedoor5 Wrote:I now have uninstalled everything, again. The last uninstall was the anaconda way.
Just as info you can have both Anaconda(my tutorial) and Python eg python.org Python 3.7 installed at same time the do not interfere.
I just answer a question about here.
"bluedoor5 Wrote:I WILL PAY SOMEONE WHO UNDERTANDS WHAT RTFM IS, AND SET UP MY PC TO RUN A PYTHON SCRIPT",
No need to pay for answer(private) use the forum it's free as it always will be.
Try link i posted,have problems make a new Thread.