Python Forum
New Users Introduce Yourself
Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 4.44 Average
New Users Introduce Yourself
I have been using VBA for Excel. I want to learn Python with special focus that can manipulate workbooks i.e reading and writing data to workbooks (Both opened and closed), creating a front end etc.

What are the best / free / online resources ?

The reason to learn Python are the chances of VBA to be replaced by Python.
Very fair point. And I fully support your move, here. Just make sure you start on the latest Python version and you should have no difficulty moving forward new versions; as someone who started writing Python 3 code back when 3.3 was the newest and latest thing, I can attest that it's been easy to migrate 3.2->3.3->3.4->3.5->3.6. I'm also a newbie to the Python programming and currently learning from Mindmajix Python training course. There are many online institutes available in the market, so attend free demo sessions from the different institutes and decide, which one suits you the best.
(Sep-27-2018, 09:00 AM)ImranBhatti Wrote: What are the best / free / online resources ?
Check our list of free python resources. Also check our FAQ/Help section.
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself, Albert Einstein
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way: link and another link
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

Hello, my illustrious and experienced programmers and fellow learners, Smile
I am a FOSS enthusiast, using Knoppix(a ready Debian ISO) and Debian for my daily computing requirements for the last 11 years. I don't have a windows system at home.
I have come to understand that Python is a much higher level language that hides System internals from interfering with learners.
I have procured a few second hand books from my locality and hope to dig into them slowly,
Python: Learn Python in One Day and Learn It Well, by Jamie Chan
Learning Python, by Mark Lutz
Invent Your Own Computer Games with Python, by Al Sweigart
and one ebook from the internet by Google search, Automate the Boring Stuff with Python, by Al Sweigart.
I try to follow already well-written smaller programs to understand how the smallest bits work collectively to form the big picture.
I am interested about molecular collisions, so I searched the internet and downloaded three codes. One is a MS Visual Java, so perhaps won't run on this system. The other two also don't run. I typed at the console, python2.7 <fileName.Ext> or python3.3 <fileName.Ext>
Show error messages and exits.
I have a few versions of python installed in my sytem, beginning from 2.6, 2.7 to 3.2 & 3.3.
I don't see myself as a programmer. Don't plan to seek any programming job in the near future. I am just interested in learning for the sake of learning.
There are certain attributes which I don't like: selfishness, jealousy, covetousness, secrecy and other mammalian traits. I consider myself a rational individual.
I sincerely hope that I shall enjoy my presence here.
Regards.
Freedom is impossible to conceive.
Books that help:
Dale Carnegie's How To Win Friends And Influence People and Emilie Post's Etiquette In Society, In Business, In Politics, And At Home
Have a good day :)
Thanks gkirenseco and buran

Today I have read a lot from the material and managed to install it on my machine.
My next next step is where is the development environment like VBA's VBE.
How to insert a module
How to create a userform
How to add references for Excel etc.
You can start by looking at the resources that Buran pointed out
next go to https://pypi.org/ and search for excel and/or VBA and/or VBE
this will point you to available packages.
(Sep-27-2018, 11:42 AM)ImranBhatti Wrote: My next next step is where is the development environment like VBA's VBE.
How to insert a module
How to create a userform
How to add references for Excel etc.

start with basic tutorial get feeling of the language. Don't think it terms of excel and VBA.
There are number of full-fledged editors like VSCode, PyCharm and many many more, but even simple text processing software like Notepad/Notepad++ is sufficient to write code
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself, Albert Einstein
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way: link and another link
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

Hi recently joined to start learning Python from zero, with special focus on Excel and Python integration.

(Sep-27-2018, 12:26 PM)buran Wrote: start with basic tutorial get feeling of the language.

I would like to feel how can I create a simple GUI in Python to enter data in Excel.
I have Python 3.7 installed on my machine looking a tutorial that can teach me how to achieve what I have expressed ( create a simple GUI in Python to enter data in Excel).Hence I will feel "O yes... like this, Python works".
Dabbled in quite a few languages from Amiga BASIC and Assembler to C and Java. Want to learn a language well now, and Python seems the way to go!

I've done a few small courses on Python in University last year so I got some of the basics figured out, now looking to specialize and make the hobby into a real skill. I'm doing one of the Udemy courses as a refresher and wondering where to go next when I finish that.
You can start here: https://python-forum.io/Thread-A-List-of...-Resources