Python Forum
New and raring to go just need some direction
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New and raring to go just need some direction
Hello,

I have completed a new & beginner course and have done some small programs mainly converting some size calculations that I previously had in Excel, so simple stuff.

I want to make a prog that compares 2 hard drives/sd cards, works out the difference and then have the ability to harmonize the data between. I work on a mac

This has most probably been done before so if anyone can point me in the right direction I would be most grateful

1, Create the lists, do I use txt files (probably slow) make python lists or another
2, Compare lists, going to need something that I can click to either execute or leave
3, Copy the data both ways

Thanks
It looks like a very ambitious program for a beginner. Here are my first thoughts:
  • Don't think about the program being slow or not. It is not an important point until you get something running. Choose the more direct way.
  • A key question is what information do you need to make the decisions about harmonizing the two file systems? The first step will be to extract this information from the files and directory structures.
  • A second question is how do you want to present this information to the user? Again choose the simplest way to start with.
  • Then which orders shall the user give to the program? Describe them with sentences.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  High level direction for my next project henricartierbresson 2 1,975 Jun-01-2020, 03:49 AM
Last Post: ndc85430
  Operator Precedence Direction in Docs blitz4 3 3,136 Mar-11-2018, 06:15 AM
Last Post: wavic