Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New reply
New reply working like post edit
How, if you were the last poster to a thread, do you really start
a new reply? Clicking the new reply still appends the reply to previous post
What on earth are you talking about?

EDIT:
You mean where it adds an <hr> line when you post a new reply? This is done when the last post and the new reply timestamps are lower than X value and are by the same user. MyBB automatically appends the post to the old post, instead of creating a whole new second post.
Recommended Tutorials:
Ok, perhaps I didn't explain well enough.
I post a reply to a thread.
An hour later I go back to that thread with additional information which
I would like to see in a separate post.
Since the last post was also be me, when I add the new one, it appends
to the previous with a line separating the two posts.
There is no notification to new posts that anything has changed.
(Apr-17-2017, 11:30 PM)metulburr Wrote: EDIT:
You mean where it adds an <hr> line when you post a new reply? This is done when the last post and the new reply timestamps are lower than X value and are by the same user. MyBB automatically appends the post to the old post, instead of creating a whole new second post.
i think we are talking about the same thing here
(Apr-17-2017, 11:39 PM)Larz60+ Wrote: There is no notification to new posts that anything has changed
All users (except yourself) should get a notification of a "new post" when the last post on a thread is edited. There is a specific plugin installed that's sole purpose is to do just that.

(Apr-17-2017, 11:39 PM)Larz60+ Wrote: An hour later
It shouldnt be that long. Let me check the settings if i can remember what that settings name was
Recommended Tutorials:
found the settings. 
Quote:Post Merge Time

With this enabled, posts posted within x minutes by the same author right after each other, will be merged. Set the time limit (in minutes) to merge posts.

Your right its set to 60 minutes. 

I also made user groups to ignore merging posts both admins and super mods.
Recommended Tutorials:
Ok, understood
It wasn't really an issue other than a slight annoyance
Sorry for bitching, guys,

but what I find really incontinent is the fact that formatting ruler does not show unless you press Preview Post button. I believe this is the reason many new users fail to properly format their posts.

Just my 2 cents
Test everything in a Python shell (iPython, Azure Notebook, etc.)
  • Someone gave you an advice you liked? Test it - maybe the advice was actually bad.
  • Someone gave you an advice you think is bad? Test it before arguing - maybe it was good.
  • You posted a claim that something you did not test works? Be prepared to eat your hat.
By the formatting ruler, do you mean the BBCode buttons? The quick reply is meant to quickly reply with simple text. Whereas the advanced editor has all the bells an whistles. A lot of users fail to use BBCode when creating a new thread in which there is no option of quick reply editor at all.
Recommended Tutorials:
(Apr-19-2017, 07:14 PM)volcano63 Wrote: what I find really incontinent is the fact that formatting ruler does not show unless you press Preview Post button. I believe this is the reason many new users fail to properly format their posts.

You can also press the "New reply" box above the "Quick reply" section to go there directly.
(Apr-20-2017, 09:07 AM)Kebap Wrote: You can also press the "New reply" box above the "Quick reply" section to go there directly.

Thanks, I've already figured it out
Test everything in a Python shell (iPython, Azure Notebook, etc.)
  • Someone gave you an advice you liked? Test it - maybe the advice was actually bad.
  • Someone gave you an advice you think is bad? Test it before arguing - maybe it was good.
  • You posted a claim that something you did not test works? Be prepared to eat your hat.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cannot store attachment in a reply ibreeden 5 3,510 Apr-03-2022, 05:37 PM
Last Post: ibreeden
  Unable to send/reply PM messages? MDRI 6 4,353 May-15-2021, 08:59 PM
Last Post: snippsat
  combined posts, reply, bad edit Skaperen 1 4,872 Dec-02-2016, 03:01 PM
Last Post: Kebap