Python Forum
New to Python and programming, need some mentoring!
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to Python and programming, need some mentoring!
Hello Everyone! My name is Bogdan and I'm a 31 yo getting into programming. I've studied a bit of programming in school (C++ and Borland Pascal) but ever since then I've been working in Supply Chain and Sales. I've remained a bit technical (working on excel automation projects through VBA and a bit of SQL) but nothing close to programming.

Recently(for about 6 weeks) I've started learning Python. Why? At first I was looking for a bit of fun with a general purposed language, but in time I would like to reach a semi-professional stage where I could start applying for jobs in IT.

I started off with Codecademy courses and after finishing those I stumbled across CodeWars. You can check some of my code on my Codewars profile, just to see the level where I am at now. Codewars has been fun but now I hit a big wall. Codewars hasn't really allowed me to learn anything new, just to freely exercise what I already learned through Codecademy. It's a great resource to learn more efficient ways of programming while solving a certain problem, no doubt about it, but I need to start heading towards a more "real world use" not just theoretical stuff (a lot of my programming buddies have told me so). I've seen these even on Codewars where the challenges start getting more complex and closer to the real-world stuff...I have no idea on how to solve these challenges, and the platform doesn't guide you, as it's usually based on what you already know. And here is where I need a little bit of mentoring. I'm looking for to moment to specialize in Python and not yet go to other programming languages, so that would mean back-end development (as I have been told). I'm also looking forward to learning more about classes and working with files. Could you help me with a bit of guidance? Where can I go to next to deepen my knowledge (I learn best by doing)? What should I specialize in? Are there any open-source projects on which I newcomer like myself can work on in order to keep on learning?

Any advice is highly appreciated! Thank you guys!
(Apr-10-2018, 09:34 AM)ViBogdan Wrote: so that would mean back-end development (as I have been told)

I believe you've been told wrong. Python is not limited to just back-end development. Python is a very robust language and thousands of programs have been created using Python alone.

This is not the best place to be looking for 'mentors'. We are here to help and guide people in the use of Python and it's tools, not to teach the language. There are many, many courses out there that teach the language, please see our Python Resources for a brief list. Just make sure the course is teaching Python 3 and not Python 2.

As for 'real world', that depends on what your real world is. Look around you and see how things are done, is there something that is currently being done by hand or is overly cumbersome? If so, can you improve it? Check with family and friends and ask what would make their job easier. An example, we have one member who is a volunteer at a food bank, where every thing was done by hand, inventory, food in and food out, expenses, etc. She took it upon herself to create a program that took care of all that, with an easy user interface, not just for her location, but several, allowing management to pull up various reports for each site.

Best of luck to you and above all, have fun.
If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
OS: Windows 10, openSuse 42.3, freeBSD 11, Raspian "Stretch"
Python 3.6.5, IDE: PyCharm 2018 Community Edition
Hey Bogdan,
I just started with my Python tool kit maybe less then 2 years ago now. I'm glad I did. It's pretty cool to write up your own solution to just about any problem within a relatively simple framework. Just think about the future here guys once even intermediary competence in this language is achieved you can control just about any AI out there. IOT and web bots oh my.

I've been focusing on Selenium and Python at the current time as it fits into my business model. I would definitely recommend a few books.

"Learning Python the Hardway" by Zed Shaw.
and of course Swiegart "Automate the Boring Stuff".

If your into Pygame. "Kids Can Code" on youtube is a nice resource.
I would beg to disagree.
Quote:This is not the best place to be looking for 'mentors'.

Why scare every body off?
(Apr-13-2018, 12:46 AM)MIPython Wrote: Why scare every body off?

Not intending to scare anybody off. Perhaps you didn't have an opportunity to finish the paragraph.
If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
OS: Windows 10, openSuse 42.3, freeBSD 11, Raspian "Stretch"
Python 3.6.5, IDE: PyCharm 2018 Community Edition
It's ok, I understood what you were trying to say :). Learning to use syntax is one thing, learning how to use it more efficiently is another. As I said, any advice is welcomed and appreciated! Thank you!
Sparks_alot stated:
Quote:I believe you've been told wrong. Python is not limited to just back-end development. Python is a very robust language and thousands of programs have been created using Python alone.

to emphasize his statement which is absolutely correct, you might be surprised about which applications are using Python:
See: http://www.hartmannsoftware.com/Blog/Art...-in-Python

aso: http://www.hartmannsoftware.com/Blog//Co...ing_Python