Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to coding
Hello,
I really love coding. When I can do it at work it's the best part of my day normally. I want so badly to transition to a programming job. I have a casual knowledge of VBA, and have been studying Python. Is this a good way for someone like me to get my foot in the door?
If you are able to code at work sometimes, it is an excellent way to get started if you don't have a formal computer science education.
It's not the ideal, nor an easy way, but if you play your cards right, learn everything you can, and try to excel in your assignments, your employer will surely give you more and greater tasks, and eventually think of you first as a programmer.
Sadly my job currently is in accounting...
I started in engineering (many years ago) and within the first year moved to software, so it can be done.
So you dont think it would be likely to interview fir a job?
I think that, if you show the ability to learn programming concepts, that you can definitely interview for an entry level position. At my current job, for example, I didn't even know what language they used until I showed up for the interview, and when I said I didn't know C#, they were fine with learning as I went, as I could answer their questions using pseudo code (ie: I answered with python lol).

You'd just need to be aware that there'd be A LOT of learning up front, from the language itself, to source control, to how to write code other people can understand, to talking to other people about programming ideas when you need help figuring out what to do. Depending on the company, most of that is expected to be learned on the job, using things like pair programming (someone will sit next to you, and help you as you, instead of you being solo 99% of the time).

That said, I think you'd have a better chance if you did have some experience. And again, it depends on what sort of things you think you'd like to try. There's a big difference, for example, between building a website, and writing the software that makes minor adjustments to thrust so a satellite doesn't fall from orbit and burn up in the atmosphere lol.
Thank you nilamo, that is very encouraging. I just feel like it's not possible sometimes, normally when I'm depressed. Then I have a day like today.

I hate my job, fully, I hate almost everything about it. So today I had a little down time and decided to clean up some code I wrote a month ago, because I've learned some things since then. I was struggling with it when all of a sudden it clicked. I almost stayed over unpaid to work on it because I was so happy and engaged all of a sudden. That feeling is so wonderful, that's why I think this is something I need to do.
I still get so absorbed in what I am working on that I am almost in a trance state.
Time passes as though it stood still. I may start at 4 A.M. stopping only to refill my coffee cup, or grab a bite to eat, and continue on until bedtime. And this has been happening to me for 50 years now.

And the good part is that I still manage to learn something new almost every day.
That's so wonderful to hear. Thank you for the responce Larz60+