Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to python
Hey I am new to python and are really eager to learn. I don't know much about python and this is all that I have learned through Youtube videos; how to make a variable and what it is, how to "print" text and what it does and how to use strings but not really sure they are, I think there like text and you use "".

So my questions are;
1) What/where is the best place to learn simple python.
2) Is python good for game development (like snake and space invaders)
3) On a average how long does it take to learn a good amount of the language.

-Yoakz Think
1) you can lean python online. There are a ton of free tutorials for whatever you are doing. You jsut have to google them.
2) 3d games are perfect for python. Pygame is the library you are going to want to use. All of my tutorials are for using pygame. A space invaders clone was one of the first games i wrote.
3) It takes as long as you take. The quickest possible, i have seen one guy go from nothing to making 2d games by his first month of learning python basics. Then a new game every month after. Most people do not pick it up this quick though. How much time you spend on learning each day depends on how quick you pick it up.
Recommended Tutorials:
(Oct-18-2019, 07:10 PM)metulburr Wrote: 1) you can lean python online. There are a ton of free tutorials for whatever you are doing. You jsut have to google them.
2) 3d games are perfect for python. Pygame is the library you are going to want to use. All of my tutorials are for using pygame. A space invaders clone was one of the first games i wrote.
3) It takes as long as you take. The quickest possible, i have seen one guy go from nothing to making 2d games by his first month of learning python basics. Then a new game every month after. Most people do not pick it up this quick though. How much time you spend on learning each day depends on how quick you pick it up.
I downloaded your "fighter-master" game and I am reading the code. Do you think it's a good idea to read over it and try and understand what certain code means through common sense and google. Then I can try make a replicate of it by myself. Is this a efficient way of learning?
yeah i did that when i started learning.

P.S. I consider that code horrific. Anything that old to me looks bad in terms of structure and usage.
Recommended Tutorials:
(Oct-18-2019, 09:05 PM)metulburr Wrote: yeah i did that when i started learning.

P.S. I consider that code horrific. Anything that old to me looks bad in terms of structure and usage.
Could you send me something which inst "horrific" and very simple?
That is pretty much as simple as it gets. I always use classes. And from there on out i separate them into modules instead of one file. As well as try to limit what is in the main game loop and put more into the class itself. I dont have anything recent, as i havent been programming lately (game-wise at least).
Recommended Tutorials:
(Oct-18-2019, 09:38 PM)metulburr Wrote: That is pretty much as simple as it gets. I always use classes. And from there on out i separate them into modules instead of one file. As well as try to limit what is in the main game loop and put more into the class itself. I dont have anything recent, as i havent been programming lately (game-wise at least).
It wont let me download pygames. When I do pip install in command prompt it says;

[Image: TgSQ4s9]

I have seen a video on how to resolve this but in the python folder it has a folder called scripts however I don't have this seen in this video. Do you know how to fix this so I can use pygames.

https://gyazo.com/ad5b7f38e04a04edbe1800f6d55cdb29
Follow this to get all correct installed Python 3.6/3.7 and pip installation under Windows
Then it work like this:
# Test pip
C:\>pip -V
pip 19.2.3 from c:\python37\lib\site-packages\pip (python 3.7)

# Install
C:\>pip install pygame
Collecting pygame
  Downloading .....
Successfully installed pygame-1.9.6

# Test that it work
C:\>python
Python 3.7.2 (tags/v3.7.2:9a3ffc0492, Dec 23 2018, 22:20:52) [MSC v.1916 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import pygame
pygame 1.9.6
Hello from the pygame community. https://www.pygame.org/contribute.html

>>> pygame.__version__
'1.9.6'
>>> exit()

C:\>
(Oct-18-2019, 10:22 PM)snippsat Wrote: Follow this to get all correct installed Python 3.6/3.7 and pip installation under Windows
Then it work like this:
# Test pip
C:\>pip -V
pip 19.2.3 from c:\python37\lib\site-packages\pip (python 3.7)

# Install
C:\>pip install pygame
Collecting pygame
  Downloading .....
Successfully installed pygame-1.9.6

# Test that it work
C:\>python
Python 3.7.2 (tags/v3.7.2:9a3ffc0492, Dec 23 2018, 22:20:52) [MSC v.1916 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import pygame
pygame 1.9.6
Hello from the pygame community. https://www.pygame.org/contribute.html

>>> pygame.__version__
'1.9.6'
>>> exit()

C:\>

The thread doesn't work.
(Oct-18-2019, 10:24 PM)Yoakz Wrote: The thread doesn't work.
Sorry,should be fixed now.