Python Forum
New user startup Advice
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New user startup Advice
Not really a coding question specifically - but am interested in any opinions/advice.

I've tried to pick up Python a few times over the past couple of years (at work, not home) with zero success.  At least a small part of the problem is that I don't think I've had the right combination of version & development environments (editor?).  

The company has several options available, but none seem to fit right, and maybe you're experiences will help.

I can chose between 2.7 (seems to be the most common among our core users)  and 3.6 (recommended by our IT department).  I know there are some differences, but for what I'll likely be trying to do, I can't say how important those differences are.  I'm leaning towards 2.7.

I've tried PYCHARM (too heavy), ECLIPSE (constantly crashed), and SPYDER (no autocomplete/type ahead).  

I'm looking for something simple - with syntax hints and autocomplete (how else do you know what's available for the object?)  

I'm not doing anything significant - no data science stuff, not charting tornado trajectories,  etc.  

I'm talking about things like importing contents of csv & text files, comparing/filtering/looping through the data and possibly some simple math or conditional statements, then outputting results to a file.  Just the extreme basics until I start understanding the syntax and subtitles of the language.

It's also noteworthy that we don't have admin rights to our machines here, so I can't load up anything that requires changes to registry settings or other environmental settings.

Any advice on this is greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that this will 100% be on WINDOWS (UI based, not command line)
I think the majority if not all of us would agree with your IT department - go for python3 unless you have really good reason, e.g. you need to use specific package that not support python 3 yet (and I don't think that is the case here).
As to the IDE - for small projects on Windows I'm using Notepad++ (there are some useful plugins you should install). Has syntax highlighting, however no auto-completion the way you mean it .
You can also try Atom (I'm using it on Linux).

By the way - Python is not the Devil's language (hope you understand what I refer to :-))
Thank you, buran, for the feedback. I've sent a message to our IT guys to see if they will install NOTEPAD++ (which I had on my prior pc) and the python plugins. Also checking into Atom as you suggested.

And yes, I got the reference - and yes, sadly, I still feel that way. Maybe the right environment will help though!
Python 3 all the way!
JP_ROMANO Wrote:SPYDER (no autocomplete/type ahead).
Spyder has autocomplete,may need to push Tab(conda or pip install jedi rope flake8).

JP_ROMANO Wrote:It's also noteworthy that we don't have admin rights to our machines here
I have a setup with miniconda when don't have admin rights.
Atom Portable, cmder Portable, kate
autocomplete-python install jedi pip/conda install jedi

An other option i use some time is Cloud9,you get full Linux working environment in the Cloud(has auto-completion).
As mention you should use Python 3.6,there are few excuses to use Python 2 these days.

Anaconda has a lot of cool stuff like new conda-forge              
When install a library eg Panda, Scipy it will work the same on all OS(Windows, Linux and OSX)
Thank you snippsat. I understood like, maybe 7 of those words, but I'll certainly do some additional research before I commit to anything. For example, I'm not sure I'm clear on the differences between Python and Anaconda, or what jedi rope flake is (I was told the set up for autocomplete in spyder is complex, unless you happen to 'find' the right instructions somewhere on the internet).

In any event, I really appreciate all of the great information and hope to get this stuff out of the way soon.
Thanks!
(Jun-22-2017, 11:08 AM)JP_ROMANO Wrote: differences between Python and Anaconda, or what jedi rope flake is
Python has it own install on a OS,has nothing to do with Anaconda/Miniconda.
You can look at my basic install tutorial for Window and Linux

Anaconda/Miniconda(without 720 packages pre-installed) is a standalone disruptions,
that has nothing to with OS installed Python.
I have Python, Anaconda and Miniconda installed on same OS an they do not interfere.

What is great about Anaconda you get 720 packages pre-installed,and Jupyter Notebook, Spyder finished setup.
Miniconda is lightweight version(can have it on usb stick when don't have admin rights) can choose to install what you want.
pip and conda do the same,conda should be(can also use pip) use to install into Anaconda/Miniconda.
pip install jedi flake8 to Python.
conda install jedi flake8 to Miniconda.
Jedi works for several editor's and REPL, as eg autocomplete-python for Atom.
Ipyton and ptpython as REPL.
Man am I giving Google a workout today already...
Thank you for all the details! Going to try to digest what I can and get started sometime before the end of the summer :-)
My suggestion: use ipython which is an enhanced interactive repl. You can use also your webbrowser with jupyter-notebook. You should use Python 3.6. Then your code will look cleaner.
Almost dead, but too lazy to die: https://sourceserver.info
All humans together. We don't need politicians!