Python Forum
Newbie help with configuring IDE please
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie help with configuring IDE please
Further to the thread by mehenaveen, I'd like some help please with configuring Geany. My specific problem is this:

I'm running a Linux distro. Following advice elsewhere, I decided that instead of using the system installer (Pacman) to install each and every additional Python module system-wide, I would set up a local Python installation so that as I learn and write code etc. I can install modules locally and without permissions, and that I can similarly delete that code and those files without touching the system files. If I simply wrote new files directly inside the virtual environment I'd have no problem. But that gets messy very quickly. I hope that explanation makes sense.

So, I have successfully installed a virtual environment under my home directory, which has the following path:

/home/<username>/env/lib/python3.6/site-packages

And the python files that I write, I choose to keep separate - the reason being I want to learn how one might structure and run an entire project despite I'm currently only writing single files of a few lines each. So, my .py files live somewhere like:

home/<username>/Documents/myPython/test.py

What I cannot figure out is how do I configure Geany such that I open my test.py file from within my Documents folder, but have Geany execute the python code inside the virtual environment. It is a problem of path naming surely?

I have looked at some of the documentation referring to PythonPaths, $HOME and so forth, but am nervous of editing my .bashrc because, this being Linux, Python is embedded within it, and I want to keep my OS and my own Python projects completely separate.

Do I misunderstand something? Is the answer to indeed edit my .bashrc or .bash_profile? Or is there a way to simply configure Geany correctly?
Solved.

Place full paths to both local Python bin and current working directory inside the "execute" fields of the build commands.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Having problem configuring and using acitoolkit JSung 3 2,009 Aug-17-2021, 03:09 AM
Last Post: JSung
  VSCode Setup and configuring to run with Python apollo 2 2,995 Jan-13-2021, 04:55 PM
Last Post: jefsummers
  run into issues while configuring visual-studio code on a win 7 machine. apollo 3 3,618 Sep-12-2019, 12:25 AM
Last Post: snippsat
  Configuring interpretor in PyCharm: [Errno 2] No such file or directory BoaCoder3 0 7,995 Sep-15-2018, 01:21 PM
Last Post: BoaCoder3
  Help configuring Geany for Python PickyBiker 0 3,844 Dec-05-2016, 07:49 PM
Last Post: PickyBiker