Python Forum
Newbie wanting to install Python
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie wanting to install Python
Hi

I'm new to Python and honestly not sure where to start. I want to install Python but not sure what to install.

I have seen Pycharm. Ultimately I want to be able to write some python which will connect to a Microsoft SQL Server db

Can anyone guide me please?
Look this for Windows Python 3.8 (3.6-3.7) and pip installation under Windows
After install you point PyCharm to this version Configure a Python interpreter PyCharm.

Vs Code is an other good editor look at VS Code from start.
appreciate the reply, wanted to check can I use Pycharm to connect to SQL server DB. For some reason I couldn't do this
You're asking two different things:

1. Connecting to the database from your program, which will let you perform SQL operations against it and manipulate the data in the program.
2. Connecting to the database from PyCharm, which doesn't have anything to do with the program.

For the former, you'll need to install a 3rd party library (you can search for "Python SQL server driver" or something similar). For the latter, PyCharm should have a plugin to do that. I'm an IntelliJ user (for other languages, but PyCharm is based on it) and I use a plugin called DB Navigator - see if that's available for PyCharm too. You also mentioned you couldn't connect from PyCharm. What did you try and what happened?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie to Python - Where to start lasek723 4 2,980 Sep-15-2020, 08:11 PM
Last Post: lasek723
  Noob wanting some pointers the19thbear 2 1,902 Aug-02-2020, 06:50 AM
Last Post: millpond
  Python newbie ThePantheonHatesTacos 19 5,474 May-03-2020, 02:01 PM
Last Post: wavic