Python Forum
Notepad++ with Python interpreter
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Notepad++ with Python interpreter
I enjoy using notepad++ but the irritating thing is that I cannot copy anything with cursor highlighting followed by ctrl+c in its interpreter command prompt. When there is a long traceback with error I certanily don't want to type it all on forum to ask for advice. Is there any other interpreter that can be connected to notepad++ that allows this functionality?

by the way, when I paste errors here on forum for that purpose I usually use little cute IDE Thonny although in general I prefer notepad++.
So, I assume that answer is "no".
The answer is hardly 'no'. But I doubt that any of us here use Notepad++. It's a great redactor, but usually, we need something more powerful. I am on Linux and for small scripts, I use Geany or vim. When I have to run a script I use the terminal.

There is some Python plugin for Notepad++. I don't know if it can be useful for you. Try it.
Here is some video also. Could be useful too. She is showing how to choose a different interpreter.
A video how to set up Notepad++ for Python programming.
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
actually you can select, but its a bit cumbersome
1. Right-click on Cmd window title.
2. Select Edit->Mark
3. Mark what you want
4. Hit Enter or Right-click window title again and select Edit-Copy

and @wavic,there are people here that do use NPP for any quick task/code sample when on Windows.
I'm using PyNPP and Python Indent and Python Script plugins.
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself, Albert Einstein
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way: link and another link
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

That is why I say usually. Smile
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
well, you said
(May-21-2018, 02:21 AM)wavic Wrote: But I doubt that any of us here use Notepad++.
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself, Albert Einstein
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

(May-21-2018, 06:38 AM)buran Wrote: actually you can select, but its a bit cumbersome
1. Right-click on Cmd window title.
2. Select Edit->Mark
3. Mark what you want
4. Hit Enter or Right-click window title again and select Edit-Copy

and @wavic,there are people here that do use NPP for any quick task/code sample when on Windows.
I'm using PyNPP and Python Indent and Python Script plugins.

Thank you very much for these steps. It indeed works ( and it's not so cumbersome! ).
Regarding plugins I use Python indent. Will check other two too.

Now checking Python Script functions. Could you please tell me how Show Console actually works? How can I run code there? When I paste it and hit run doesn't give me what I want to see.
you don't run code (py-files) there. It's the console. It works the same as if you write C:\>python on command prompt.
It splits the window in two. In my case in the lower part you have the console output and a text box to enter the code line by line. Each line you enter is interpreted at the time you enter it.
Actually this plugin is the one I use the least of the three
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

The same thing is in my case. If I have to add line by line it doesn't differ much from IDLE and it's not what I'm looking for.

Now I'm watching a video on how to use NppExec plugin that should be able to execute all code.
ti run the code from within NPP I use PyNPP. Right click the py file and you have options to run the file.
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  filtering python code the interpreter reads Skaperen 0 1,148 Feb-02-2022, 08:29 PM
Last Post: Skaperen
  Why does pycharm return nothing when Python interpreter does? Jessy 3 4,691 Nov-13-2019, 03:27 PM
Last Post: ndc85430
  high light change made in notepad nadavrock 0 1,580 Jul-05-2019, 07:25 PM
Last Post: nadavrock
  Notepad vs anaconda spyder or python shell ShadowAlpha 2 2,916 Jun-26-2019, 06:31 AM
Last Post: perfringo
  clearing an interactive python interpreter/shell rootVIII 4 3,626 Jan-28-2019, 05:14 PM
Last Post: rootVIII