Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ODBC iPhone to PC
I am making good progress in my Python crash course! This forum has been extremely helpful in that effort.
I want to expand on what I have learned thus far with the pyodbc module.

It is great to use where the odbc target is on the same machine as the python script that is attempting to query it. However, for the project that brought me into this I need to use an iPhone to gather data and then insert that data in to an MS Access database across the local network infrastructure (intranet).

In my mind, I have designed a simple SMTP relay between the cell phone and the desktop PC housing the Access db. Python is performing these actions, both the phone and pc end, so I have accomplished ‘proof of concept’ to collect the data, transfer it to the PC, and now insert the data into the table as desired.

What is bothering me at this point is that I would really like to eliminate the SMTP relay process and simply perform the insert from the phone on the PC.

I am not looking for code examples, just methodology concepts that can accomplish this. Because this is a large corporate environment the opportunity to introduce utilities outside of the ‘approved tool-set’ is extremely limited, so I want to accomplish this with commonly available modules within Python if I can.

I will appreciate all suggestions.

Thanks,
Through a cloudy window,
Kip...

“Progress means getting nearer to the place you want to be. And if you have taken a wrong turn, then to go forward does not get you any nearer.
If you are on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; and in that case the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive man.” ― C.S. Lewis

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Get iPhone Location AlphaInc 0 852 Sep-06-2022, 04:32 PM
Last Post: AlphaInc
  ssues with importing data from ODBC Slavek_d 1 1,377 Feb-01-2022, 09:57 AM
Last Post: ibreeden
  game not working on safari browser on iphone/ipad marcush929 1 1,849 Jan-01-2020, 02:39 PM
Last Post: ichabod801
  accessing Sybase (ASE and/or Anywhere) via ODBC... on Linux zatlas1 0 2,858 Jan-31-2019, 06:48 PM
Last Post: zatlas1
  Pythonista script with iPhone's native Clock app Sharkman157 0 2,576 Sep-27-2018, 05:23 PM
Last Post: Sharkman157
  how do I successfully use PDO with my ODBC for MSSQL? cyberion1985 3 6,526 Jun-26-2018, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Maverick494
  ODBC Not Working Bonediggler 3 2,752 Sep-28-2017, 06:18 PM
Last Post: nilamo