Python Forum
Offline audio to text (Speech Recognition)
Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Offline audio to text (Speech Recognition)
I have hundreds of audio files (mp3) of a teaching course and because of copyright,etc, we are not permitted to upload the files. Therefore, I need to be able to convert the audio/speech to text offline.

I have recently installed the "Uberi" Speech Recognition package. There were a number of problems I initially encountered, but that was due to ensuring the correct packages had been installed. Also, some issue to do with using python2 or python3, pip or pip3,etc.

The system details are:
Kubuntu 16.04.3 LTS (xenial), kernel 4.4.0-101-generic
Python 2.7.12 and 3.5.2 (both installed)
pip 9.0.1 from /home/********/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages (python 2.7)
Speech_Recognition 3.7.1
PyAudio 0.2.11

When I run
python -m speech_recognition
and speak a few words or many words, the test displayed is either perfect or _almost_ perfect. I later realised by examining the code that is used there, that the Google services are used. Hence the output is very good/accurate.

As the requirement is to do this offline, I have tested the sample python script in the /examples path .. audio_transcribe.py The input file is english.wav , but the output is just 'garbage'.

Being new to python (but not to programming), I'm currently unable to follow what to change to get the SpeechRecognition package to do this offine (not Google,IBM, Bing,etc).

I notice that pip, python2 and python3 are located in ~/.local/bin and ~/.local/lib , as per the problems with installing and not knowing where packages should be installed. Would also prefer to only run python3, but see there are a number of Kubuntu packages that rely on python2.

If I run
python3 audio_transcribe.py
there are no errors, other than the garbage output. If I run
python audio_transcribe.py
, there is an error message
Quote:Sphinx error; missing PocketSphinx module: ensure that PocketSphinx is set up correctly.

Messages In This Thread
Offline audio to text (Speech Recognition) - by jehoshua - Dec-04-2017, 10:34 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  installing anaconda packages offline HulkHogansArmsArePythons 4 7,286 Feb-18-2020, 08:23 PM
Last Post: jefsummers
  CNN Speech Classification Mitchie87 0 1,583 Dec-06-2019, 06:17 PM
Last Post: Mitchie87
  Tensorflow offline build from source on CentOS 7 riotto 3 3,951 Mar-21-2019, 07:16 PM
Last Post: riotto
  [Plot a stacked bar graph using plotly offline mode] niks250891 1 5,169 Apr-22-2018, 02:11 PM
Last Post: niks250891
  AttributeError: module 'plotly' has no attribute 'offline' charlesczc 8 16,996 Jan-21-2018, 08:34 AM
Last Post: buran