Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old Forums lock
We can check once in a while, and if anything happened, we could inform the new mod(s) of the situation. Kind of a scary thought but I don't thinkw e really need to worry about it.
Do we have a plan for when we plan to delete the content from the old forum? We should schedule it so that people know how long they have to replicate content, do what they will with bookmarks, etc.
Quote:Do we have a plan for when we plan to delete the content from the old forum?
Since we dont have access to the server, i am assuming you mean shut down the forum even for read access? Because Taos could still reinstate the database from the server and basically nullify all changes we made. 

I would leave it read access for at least 6 months. If not 2 years. Give us some time to acquire a database of our own with lots o questions. Maybe it would depend on our ranking and how fast we go back to #1

Quote:What if his friend who is hosting the site forum says "Hey, man, your site's not getting any traffic any more?"
Maybe we should leave it read access for a couple years just to give it some traffic then. All questions would flow to this site anyways. 

EDIT:
Wait....Does that mean we would be competing with the old site for #1. Hmmmmm maybe 3-6 months then?
Recommended Tutorials:
(Oct-02-2016, 12:25 AM)metulbur Wrote: Wait....Does that mean we would be competing with the old site for #1. Hmmmmm maybe 3-6 months then?

we will be #1 ... soon
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
I meant to clear out all the content. We can do that without server access. I realize it could all be reverted, but even with that being the case, all that content is competing with us (though, right now, we're on page 9 of Google when I open an Incognito tab so I don't think the competition is what's hurting us).

Six months sounds reasonable to me, though two years sounds excessive by a lot. That's also plenty of time for Jakob to notice something. I think the longer between cleaning it out and him reverting those changes, if that happens, the more easily we can establish this domain (though doing it too soon is bad, we want python-forum.org to be #1 to point to us right now). I agree it should depend on our ranking, though I think we should publish on python-forum.org a lower bound.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SEO and Python Forums sparkz_alot 4 47,383 Oct-16-2020, 11:46 AM
Last Post: metulburr
  Adding sub forums metulburr 5 6,733 Sep-19-2016, 12:01 AM
Last Post: snippsat