Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old Forums lock
Quote:Take this post as example of someone who might be clueless, if they bookmarked their post or something http://python-forum.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21171
Yes i took this into account. I messaged him notifying him of the situation. 

Quote:Well, we can make a backup after locking it down, can't we?
Everyone can log in as normal. Admins and mods can log in and go into ACP settings, make backups, download backups, change settings, etc.  You can PM people, etc. The only difference is the forum being read only access. 

Quote:Are we a little early? It's still 3pm in September, UTC, and most of the world isn't in October yet. I was planning on being somewhat lenient. What happens to all the people with open threads? There's no reply button, but it's very non-obvious what's going on if you just stumbled into the site.
Is it that big of a deal for a 9 hours difference? If we did it tomorrow or even the day after that, there would be a new post then that is not answered. At any point there would be someone cut off mid way through.

I dont have access to the templates, so i cant make a banner. Otherwise i would of a long time ago. Im not sure what else is even possible to do to notify people due to no one having access to the templates.
Recommended Tutorials:
It was 8am for me when I noticed, so much more than 9 hours. If I were a student with a pending thread, especially if I had a midnight deadline coming up, yes, that would be a big deal.

(Sep-30-2016, 03:43 PM)metulburr Wrote: If we did it tomorrow or even the day after that, there would be a new post then that is not answered.
Yes, that's true of any time. My comments were about expectation management. We didn't specify a timezone, so even people who were aware of the notices could be confused and surprised. I'm used to such non-specified as being lenient rather than landing in the early-middle of the gray area.
Quote:It was 8am for me when I noticed, so much more than 9 hours. If I were a student with a pending thread, especially if I had a midnight deadline coming up, yes, that would be a big deal.
If that was the case they most likely would see the notifications and post here. The same could be said for anyone into the transition of tomorrow as today trickles through. People in oct 1st, might wonder why is the forum still being used when it said it was being moved today.
Recommended Tutorials:
but if you want to, i could revert it until ....when the last timezone hits 0ct 1?
@[micseydel]
Recommended Tutorials:
It's been locked long enough at this point, I think consistency is worth more than the marginal benefit of inconsistency.

Lesson learned though, always specify times with explicit timezone   :rolleyes:
Quote:Lesson learned though, always specify times with explicit timezone 
sorry
Recommended Tutorials:
can admins (royals) still post over there? i.e. does the lock-down only apply to us users (peasants) ?
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
We can't. I think I can give myself (along with others in the group) the ability to, but thought consistency would be worthwhile.
Quote:We can't. I think I can give myself (along with others in the group) the ability to, but thought consistency would be worthwhile.
anyone of us admins/mods can undo and reset the forum to normal. I made everyone read only access. But if someone went back into ACP and allowed admins/mods read and write access. We (admins/mods) could post as normal. 

That reminds me...what happens if MIA admin for the past 2 years shows up?? he will most likely abolish us as mods, and reinstate the forum.
Hopefully he doesnt show again for another 2 years and we would have a good enough database and ranking.
Recommended Tutorials:
(Oct-01-2016, 07:24 PM)metulburr Wrote: That reminds me...what happens if MIA admin for the past 2 years shows up?? he will most likely abolish us as mods, and reinstate the forum.
Hopefully he doesnt show again for another 2 years and we would have a good enough database and ranking.

That's what I've been wondering, specifically with Taos. What if his friend who is hosting the site forum says "Hey, man, your site's not getting any traffic any more?" He could start it up again. I think any of the other absent mods would just check out this site and then migrate here, but I'm just not sure what Taos would do.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SEO and Python Forums sparkz_alot 4 48,552 Oct-16-2020, 11:46 AM
Last Post: metulburr
  Adding sub forums metulburr 5 6,764 Sep-19-2016, 12:01 AM
Last Post: snippsat