Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pasting via OpenPYXL
Hello Python Forum -

I work in motorsports and would like to automate the process of coping data from race software into excel for manipulation. The part I am stuck on is the actual pasting into excel from OpenPyXL so that all the data from the clipboard does not end up in one cell. If I manually copy a chart from the race software into the clipboard, click on any cell in excel, and <ctrl-V>, the chart gets pasted with appropriate rows/columns as shown below:

[Image: excel.jpg]

However, using OpenPyXL, if I copy the contents of the clipboard into a string (clipped)and then paste that string into an excel cell using OpenPyXl, everything ends up in one cell. See the actual string data below:

[Image: OpenPyXL.jpg]

My question - is there a simple command, another module or maybe another data type instead of string I should be using so a paste function from the clipboard in python breaks out the data into appropriate rows and columns. I'm guessing there is a way to do this by reading the string data, searching for the \t and \r characters representing tabs and breaks, and filling in the excel cells through some type of a loop, but I'm hoping there is an easier way for a python beginner...

Any help would be appreciated!

-Stephan
where does the data/string come from?
You can parse the string - e.g. split in meaningful parts that you want in separate cells and write these into respective cells

also, don't paste images of code, copy/paste in python tags
Please, use proper tags when post code, traceback, output, etc.
See BBcode help for more info.
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself, Albert Einstein
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way: link and another link
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

Thanks Buran - the data is copied to the clipboard manually from a generated chart within the race software. This is something I will continue to do in the process. The copying of the clipboard contents into excel and then further manipulation of the data is what I would like to achieve via python. The part I do not understand is why a copy/paste from my keyboard into an excel cell does not function the same way as pasting the clipboard into a cell via OpenPyXl.
you haven't show any code, so we don't know what you are doing with openpyxl, i.e. there is no "paste" concept in openpyxl. You write something, in this case a string into a cell(s).
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself, Albert Einstein
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

Tried also using the xlxswriter module -

clipped = pyperclip.paste()
filename1 = 'GEMSclipboarddataFORxlsxwriter.xlsx'
workbook = xlsxwriter.Workbook(filename1)
worksheet = workbook.add_worksheet()
worksheet.write(0, 0, str(clipped))
workbook.close()
This what the value of the string CLIPPED returns after running the program:

>>> clipped
'"\t1: Lap 9\t\t\n\tSelection\t\t\n\tMax\tAvg\t\nAct Throttle [%]\t100\t59.69\t\nRoad Speed [km/h]\t102\t88.10\t\nOil Pressure Filtered [Bar]\t6.24\t5.8112\t\nSpark adv (map) [°]\t29.7\t24.304\t\nLambda1 [AFR]\t1.98\t1.0752\t\nFuel Total PW 1 [ms]\t2.14\t1.5420\t\nLambda1 FB [%]\t13.7\t11.046\t\nFuel Pressure [Bar]\t60.9\t56.819\t\nEngine Load [kPa]\t99\t84.87\t\nAir Temp [°C]\t20\t19.15\t\nCoolant [°C]\t76\t75.94\t\nOil Temperature [°C]\t53\t52.77\t\n"\r\n'
>>>

...and the entire string is written into one cell in the excel sheet (which I know is exactly what I am asking it to do). This again is what I would like it to look like in excel:
[Image: excel.jpg]

Thanks for your patience with me while I try to learn a new language!
can you post the value of clipped, not as image, so that I can work with it and help you - that's why we ask not to post code as image (https://idownvotedbecau.se/imageofcode)
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

The value of clipped is not an image in my last reply. That is copied directly from IDLE..
from openpyxl import Workbook

# in reality you will read this from clipboard, e.g. using pyperclip
clipped = '\t1: Lap 9\t\t\n\tSelection\t\t\n\tMax\tAvg\t\nAct Throttle [%]\t100\t59.69\t\nRoad Speed [km/h]\t102\t88.10\t\nOil Pressure Filtered [Bar]\t6.24\t5.8112\t\nSpark adv (map) [°]\t29.7\t24.304\t\nLambda1 [AFR]\t1.98\t1.0752\t\nFuel Total PW 1 [ms]\t2.14\t1.5420\t\nLambda1 FB [%]\t13.7\t11.046\t\nFuel Pressure [Bar]\t60.9\t56.819\t\nEngine Load [kPa]\t99\t84.87\t\nAir Temp [°C]\t20\t19.15\t\nCoolant [°C]\t76\t75.94\t\nOil Temperature [°C]\t53\t52.77\t\n\r\n'

clipped = clipped.split('\t\n')
clipped = [item.split('\t') for item in clipped]
wb = Workbook()
ws = wb.active
for row, row_data in enumerate(clipped, start=1):
    for col, cell_data in enumerate(row_data, start=1):
        ws.cell(row=row, column=col, value=cell_data)
wb.save('spam.xlsx')
note that there is extra \r\n at the end. you may do extra steps to remove these
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

Thanks so much for the help Buran! I really appreciate it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why is copying and pasting a block now broken? WagmoreBarkless 2 1,333 May-05-2022, 05:01 AM
Last Post: WagmoreBarkless
  Why is copying and pasting a block now broken? WagmoreBarkless 1 1,197 May-04-2022, 11:40 PM
Last Post: Larz60+
  copy/pasting in excel WHILE keep file format zarize 0 1,918 Jun-23-2020, 03:51 PM
Last Post: zarize
  openpyxl Pasting data to different cells Kristenl2784 3 7,560 Jun-15-2020, 08:50 PM
Last Post: Yoriz
  Pasting multiple images on to one image with a for loop. DreamingInsanity 2 6,415 Feb-01-2019, 12:39 PM
Last Post: DreamingInsanity
  Looping .xlsx files in folder/subfolders copy pasting currentregion HarrisQ 4 5,501 Apr-17-2017, 06:35 AM
Last Post: HarrisQ