Python Forum
People Not Using Code Tags
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
People Not Using Code Tags
I feel like the problem in the last several months has gotten much, much worse than it used to be. I also thought of a potential solution - is there a way to make it so that the in-browser editor automatically adds codes when, say, someone pastes three or more lines? I suspect that it would be well-worth it in terms of fall negative and positive rates. Would also be a hilarious signal to the people who do a lot of extra typing.
with a secret key to turn it off!
A automatic code tag solution think i would be difficult,as many also paste code without indentation(has to use Ctrl+Shift+v).
I shall look into make message about code tag more clear,maybe in header of Python Coding --> some text and link if possible.
I would really like to see the wysiwyg completely removed personally.  
I know when I post code and try to preview it half the time it strips all my formatting; and that is for someone who knows how to do it.  Seems there is something pretty wrong and I wonder if this is the cause of the increase in problems.   Honestly I can't see people navigating some of the issues.
I quite often go to the toggle source mode.
Sometimes my code gets inundated with code tags, even after I have set up python tags.
I think I tend to agree with mekire.
Have added link in Python Coding header for easier access to code tag help.

Here a standard message that can be used to avoid so much typing.
TYPY(just type) link  that can be saved,click on hash link to get raw text.
Look like information in my post.
How to use this?? I can't get it to work
If you click on link behind Document (1 of ~629),
you should get raw text.
MyBB 2.0 will allow WYSIWYG editor to be turned off by either admin panel or by each suer if wished.
MyBB 2.0 confirmed feature changes

Quote:I know when I post code and try to preview it half the time it strips all my formatting;
It should be defaulted to source mode (everyone), and only go to WYSIWYG mode when toggled on within the editor each time you go into the editor based on this change. It only removes the indentation in WYSIWYG mode. I usually avoid turning it on due to it removing indentation in the code.

Also that might account for loss of indentation in peoples code, but not the absence of code tags.

Im trying to get them to realize and fix the issue with the default editor in which caused us to move to the Rin editor in the first place.

Quote:Python Coding | Use code tag Click for how to use
Personally i dont think this looks good at all. IF we do that we might as well make a banner at the header area. I think that would look better as well as be more vibrant. I also dont think people are going to read the help docs with more links cluttered all over the forum. They just dont read it. They immediately go to the largest forum thread count and post without looking at help at all.

Quote:is there a way to make it so that the in-browser editor automatically adds codes when, say, someone pastes three or more lines?
I think this would require a lot of code that we non PHP devs seem not to be able to implement. Although that would surely fix the problem. One method i think i could implement, would be to disallow the post if the condition is met. Condition being X amount of python keywords? Or indented space...but then some people dont even make sure their code is indented. Then it would show a message saying that code was detected and code tags (ie [ python ]) were not used with a link to BBcode in a new tab to instruct how to use them if they dont know how.

And yes it closely resembles the other case...but i know how to deny a post, and not how to auto implement code tags around suspected python code. Maybe @[stranac] might know more as he seems to be much better at PHP.

But then you might be introducing them to more screenshot uploads...not sure.

EDIT:
Quote:someone pastes three or more lines?
Oh i just realized that you meant 3 entire lines, not 3 lines of code. Wouldnt that be annoying to people just posting in discussions not having any code?
Recommended Tutorials:
(Dec-08-2017, 12:59 AM)metulburr Wrote: Wouldnt that be annoying to people just posting in discussions not having any code?
He means paste, not post.
In fact I have several ready replays without any code and I paste them. e.g raw_input vs. input

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just a trial. For learning code tags sylas 3 3,689 Sep-25-2017, 11:41 AM
Last Post: metulburr
  Please use code tags Larz60+ 28 15,731 Apr-06-2017, 09:47 PM
  Do not know how to add "Code Tags" or "Error Tags" to my submissions mattkrebs 2 3,700 Mar-21-2017, 04:15 PM
  Created a plugin for our code tags stranac 18 13,604 Dec-13-2016, 12:16 PM
Last Post: Kebap