Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please use code tags
My most common post
maybe we should show them how to use code tags. a video?
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
(Feb-05-2017, 07:20 PM)Larz60+ Wrote: My most common post
It always is. Even on the previous forum, it was.

9 times out of 10 once you give them a warning, or inform them directly that they are not using code tags, they figure it out and use them. It usually just the first post or first few posts.

You can make videos, tutorials, how-to's, notices, other instructions, post them all over so they have to click them, etc. There is even a banner for first activated accounts to use code tags. But they dont read them. They just skip over everything and immediately and go to posting. There isnt really a way around it other than to have multiple moderators fix the post for them. The more moderators, the less each one has to fix.
Recommended Tutorials:
I'm pretty sure I violated the rules the first time or two that I used this forum

Even when I'm reading a new book, I have the habit of trying new ideas immediately
upon reading about them, and then venturing off into unread territory as a matter of course.

It's the nature of curiosity.
The only thing that I think would work would be to write some code for the forum that detects python code and code tags. Then if there is python code in a post but no code tags, it could pop-up a window saying "Hey, it looks like you've got code but no code tags. Please use code tags." However, I think that would take PHP skills beyond what the regular contributors have.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
Hm! What would happen if it detect python code like this os.walk("/home/user/Downloads") but enclosed in icode or bold tags?
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
That seems like it might create more problems than it solves.
Probably better to just grin and bear it.
I got an idea, which I myself belive is silly and potentially troublesome to implement, but nonetheless...
The registration window could show new users rules and guidlines for using the forum (or link to it, or a condensed form of it...). And before being able to continue registration, they should answer 1 or 2 simple questions, related to forum rules. Nothing too difficult, but still enough to make sure they know to post proper questions, in proper sections and use codetags.
That may keep spam bots away too :D
Some would be ok with that, others would not. Personally, it would depend on my mood.
I don't think it would bother me, but on a bad day it might
I have thought about it. But when day comes you have a serious Python problem, and really need get some answer, that shouldn't be deal breaker.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  People Not Using Code Tags micseydel 16 8,209 Dec-09-2017, 06:49 AM
Last Post: micseydel
  Just a trial. For learning code tags sylas 3 3,698 Sep-25-2017, 11:41 AM
Last Post: metulburr
  Do not know how to add "Code Tags" or "Error Tags" to my submissions mattkrebs 2 3,718 Mar-21-2017, 04:15 PM
Last Post: metulburr
  Created a plugin for our code tags stranac 18 13,639 Dec-13-2016, 12:16 PM
Last Post: Kebap