Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please use code tags
How about the book authors (or Python pioneers) who may want to offer advice?
Just trying to think about possibiliies
As the community grows, these tiny obstacles potentially can reach to a possibility the forum could not be maintained. It's a dark scenario but one has to think ahead
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
Quote:I got an idea, which I myself belive is silly and potentially troublesome to implement, but nonetheless...
The registration window could show new users rules and guidlines for using the forum (or link to it, or a condensed form of it...). And before being able to continue registration, they should answer 1 or 2 simple questions, related to forum rules. Nothing too difficult, but still enough to make sure they know to post proper questions, in proper sections and use codetags. 
That may keep spam bots away too :D
I think based on previous answers from other admins about similar aspects i dont think that is going to fly with the majority. Such as security question about python. It deemed too complex to sign up to the forums, and I think this fits in that too. 

Quote:I have thought about it. But when day comes you have a serious Python problem, and really need get some answer, that shouldn't be deal breaker.
We are still trying to put ourselves as #1 on google, so i think until that happens, drastic approaches would be put on the shelf.

Quote:The only thing that I think would work would be to write some code for the forum that detects python code and code tags. Then if there is python code in a post but no code tags, it could pop-up a window saying "Hey, it looks like you've got code but no code tags. Please use code tags." However, I think that would take PHP skills beyond what the regular contributors have.
I like this but yeah i dont have enough php background.
Recommended Tutorials:
Recently, when new users don't put their code in code tags, moderators often respond with a message (that includes):
Moderator mod_name: Added Python tags. Please do this in the future (see help, BBCODE)

Do you have a button on the edit menu bar that inserts this line in a similar fashion as code/error tags and others do? If not, it could be a worthy addition to save some hassle.
(Apr-05-2017, 05:12 AM)j.crater Wrote: Python tags.

Do you have a button on the edit menu bar that inserts this line in a similar fashion as code/error tags and others do?

Sure do. Even with the python symbol python
Same symbol as for python code tags? That seems a bit confusing to me.
Chances are also that you cropped my message too much, and thus not replied to the right question :D
Oh you meant a button for the moderator's message?
That's right ;)
We are currently revamping the whole mod messaging system, and I see the merit. Maybe we can include it.
i have a different idea.  a post form for beginners would have 2 input windows.  the 2nd one would be for code.  there would be lots of labels telling them to put their code in the 2nd window.  the content of that window would be formatted as code when their article is posted,

code tags would still work in the 1st window.  when the user first posts with correct code tags in there, then her "i get 2 posting windows" flag gets dropped.

new users would get that set up when they first register.
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  People Not Using Code Tags micseydel 16 8,035 Dec-09-2017, 06:49 AM
Last Post: micseydel
  Just a trial. For learning code tags sylas 3 3,643 Sep-25-2017, 11:41 AM
Last Post: metulburr
  Do not know how to add "Code Tags" or "Error Tags" to my submissions mattkrebs 2 3,675 Mar-21-2017, 04:15 PM
Last Post: metulburr
  Created a plugin for our code tags stranac 18 13,473 Dec-13-2016, 12:16 PM
Last Post: Kebap