Python Forum
Preparing ground in a designed device
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Preparing ground in a designed device
Hi everyone. 

I am supporting a team creating a concept for a tactile matrix touch pad meant for blind people. 

Could you please offer some guidance? What we need at the present stage is to get a rough idea of the programming opportunities and challenges. Thus, I would greatly appreciate comments pointing us in the right direction with regards to the following:

- the choice of the programming language - Python vs any alternatives worth taking into consideration
- the path to making the chosen language implementable in a newly designed device - at which stage of the controller design is it supposed to take place
- challenges, risks and ways of making the device script open source - how to maintain just the right level of control

Thanks a lot for help. 

Tom
Could you provide more context? What is the hardware you're programming for? Locally on a computer, in a web browser, a mobile device, something proprietary, or some combination of those?

(Jan-13-2017, 06:03 PM)Prometheus Wrote: challenges, risks and ways of making the device script open source - how to maintain just the right level of control
Have you Google'd for this? We could parrot back some stuff, but our time is probably better spent asking more specific questions / concerns.
Hi 

Thanks for your answer. 

The device is a plastic tablet with an array of touch sensitive small buttons having at least three possible states. 

It is to be connected to the computer via usb.

We have already found out - but please correct me if it's incorrect - that the primary programming will have to be done to create a driver. 

How is the device supposed to generate ascii?

Is python compatibility to be implemented in the hardware, in the driver or only in the software?
Are you sure you want to use USB? why not Bluetooth or WiFi?
  • your buttons can be simple graphic buttons in the graphics language of your choice,
  • built-in tkinter simple but this is a simple interface
  • external Qt5, wxpython, etc.
  • Look in PyPi for WiFi or Bluetooth packages
I don't think you'll necessarily have to write a driver, though I could be wrong. You might be able to just communicate over the USB as a regular serial connection.

Are you programming the device, or is it already programmed? Will the device act as a keyboard or will its use be more specialized?
I guess the part that confuses me is part of your description

Quote:tactile matrix touch pad meant for blind people

I don't see how a touch pad or touch screen would be of use to someone who cannot see, unless there was some sort of audio or other sensory feedback (other than sight, of course).  If, on the other hand your talking about a 'key pad' (think touch tone dial) you might consider a combination of Arduino and Raspberry Pi for your development cycle.  The keys could be modified for braille and there are many examples of how to make the connection, just do a search for "arduino keypad tutorial" for example in your favorite search engine.
If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
OS: Windows 10, openSuse 42.3, freeBSD 11, Raspian "Stretch"
Python 3.6.5, IDE: PyCharm 2018 Community Edition
(Jan-17-2017, 12:05 AM)sparkz_alot Wrote: I don't see how a touch pad or touch screen would be of use to someone who cannot see
I think "tactile" and "touch pad" clarify things enough, do you not? :)
perhaps
If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
OS: Windows 10, openSuse 42.3, freeBSD 11, Raspian "Stretch"
Python 3.6.5, IDE: PyCharm 2018 Community Edition

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Object detection on ground via the use of geo/sat UAV images hobbyist 2 2,058 Jan-23-2021, 11:57 PM
Last Post: hobbyist
  Plot Back Ground Colors JoeDainton123 0 2,168 Aug-19-2020, 11:09 PM
Last Post: JoeDainton123
  preparing the installation of a Python-development environment apollo 8 4,041 Apr-02-2020, 05:36 PM
Last Post: apollo
  Reading UDP from external device without device software ikdemartijn 2 3,337 Dec-03-2019, 04:29 PM
Last Post: Larz60+
  Display device details i.e connected with more than one device shintonp 6 5,248 May-10-2017, 06:00 AM
Last Post: shintonp