Python Forum
Problem with Basic Rock Paper Scissors code
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem with Basic Rock Paper Scissors code
Guys I just started with python a couple days back, and today finally sat down to write a code for Rock Paper Scissors.

The code abruptly ends after just executing game() function. Many other codes I checked closely resembled mine, but they worked and my doesn't. The problem seems to be with the Randomization, since in my testing everything works except for it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know the code is a bit too long for such a simple game, but i don't need to know how to shorten it (will save it for later), just what is causing the problem right now.

Thanks

from os import system, name

from time import sleep

from random import randint

rps = None

cpu = None

ai = None

def strt():
    print("Rock Paper Scissors")

sleep(1)

def game():

global rps

global cpu

global ai

rps = input("Choose Rock (r), Paper (p), or Scissors (s)")

if rps != "r" and rps != "p" and rps != "s":
        print("Invalid function, starting over...")
        sleep(1)
        game()

else:

cpu = randint(1, 3)

ai = cpu

if cpu == "1":
            ai = "r"

elif cpu == "2":
            ai = "p"

elif cpu == "3":
            ai = "s"

decision()

def decision():
    if rps == ai:
        print("Decision Neutral")
        game()

elif rps == "r":
        if ai == "s":
            print("you win")
        elif ai == "p":
            print("you lose")

elif rps == "p":
        if ai == "s":
            print("you lose")
        elif ai == "r":
            print("you win")

elif rps == "s":
        if ai == "r":
            print("you lose")
        elif ai == "p":
            print("you win")

strt()

game()
  • Your randomization isn't working because randint returns an int, and you are comparing that to strings.
  • Better would be random.choice('rps'), it just gives you what you need in one line.
  • Globals lead to confusing and hard to maintain code. Pass parameters and assign return values. See the function tutorial for more details.
  • For multiple comparisons in is often [the best choice: if rps not in ('r', 'p', 's'):.
  • RPS is a great place to learn dictionaries instead of complicated if/elif/else:

wins = {'r': 's', 'p': 'r', 's': 'p'}
if rps = ai:
    print('tie')
elif wins[ai] == rps:
    print('win')
else:
    print('loss')
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
(Sep-13-2019, 12:40 PM)ichabod801 Wrote:
  • Your randomization isn't working because randint returns an int, and you are comparing that to strings.
  • Better would be random.choice('rps'), it just gives you what you need in one line.
  • Globals lead to confusing and hard to maintain code. Pass parameters and assign return values. See the function tutorial for more details.
  • For multiple comparisons in is often [the best choice: if rps not in ('r', 'p', 's'):.
  • RPS is a great place to learn dictionaries instead of complicated if/elif/else:
 wins = {'r': 's', 'p': 'r', 's': 'p'} if rps = ai: print('tie') elif wins[ai] == rps: print('win') else: print('loss') 

Hello sir!
You said I was comparing an integer to a string, and that was causing problem. This has happened with me before. I'm almost too new, could you please tell how to compare integer to integer? Please just send me the correction of that part, since I don't know how to do any other corrections you told. Thank you!
You just use integer literals (without quotes) instead of string literals (with quotes):

cpu = randint(1, 3)

ai = cpu

if cpu == 1:
            ai = "r"

elif cpu == 2:
            ai = "p"

elif cpu == 3:
            ai = "s"
But, note that random.choice will pick a random item out of a sequence, even a string. So all of the above code could be replaced with this one line:

ai = random.choice('rps')
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rock Paper Scissors Project in Python ankitdixit 8 4,720 Feb-23-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: DPaul
  Trying to create a visual rock paper scissors game urmom33 1 976 Dec-03-2022, 09:12 PM
Last Post: deanhystad
  Rock paper scissors in python with "algorithm" Agat0 23 5,779 Mar-01-2022, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Agat0
  Problem restricting user input in my rock paper scissors game ashergreen 6 4,494 Mar-25-2021, 03:54 AM
  Odd behavior with Rock Paper Scissor game DustinKlent 2 1,887 Aug-27-2020, 03:55 PM
Last Post: DustinKlent
  List index out of range error when attempting to make a basic shift code djwilson0495 4 2,934 Aug-16-2020, 08:56 PM
  Writing a basic shift code djwilson0495 2 2,220 Aug-16-2020, 01:52 PM
Last Post: djwilson0495
  Trying to implement Best of 3 logic in rock paper scissors game ShAhCh 5 3,268 May-11-2020, 04:31 PM
Last Post: ShAhCh
  Rock Paper Scissors with dictionaries ewgreht 2 3,823 May-01-2020, 03:19 PM
  Rock, Paper, Scissors.. Help..hidden bug xxunknownxx 4 2,605 Mar-19-2020, 02:46 AM
Last Post: jefsummers