Python Forum
Problem with If else statement
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem with If else statement
I am building an application. And The following code works fine when Button first clicked. But next time button clicked, I get no change. I don't get an error, just get nothing,...the "On: does not change to "Off"

def set_drfvalue():
	on = 0
	if on == 0:

drf_label = Label(factor_build,text= "On",  fg= "#581003", font = ("sans_serif  10 bold")).place(x =130, y=25)
		on = 1
	else:

drf_label2 = Label(factor_build,text= "Off",  fg= "#581003", font = ("sans_serif  10 bold")).place(x =130, y=25)
		on = 0

def build_factors():
   my_button20 = Button(factor_build, text = "DRF Speed", width = 15, command = set_drfvalue) 
   my_button20.place(x=10, y=25)
I know I must be missing something. But followed a video to a T and no go.

Thank You
What is line 2 there for? Because it is there, the else block will never be reached.

If on is supposed to be a global variable visible outside the function, you will need to declare it as a global.

If it's not supposed to be outside the function, you might want to create a closure. Then you don't have to initialize the variable every time it's called.
Can you post the video Milfredo, maybe different eyes can spot something you did not code properly from the video. Line 2 does look odd.
I see the problem. Yes each time the button gets clicked variable gets reset to 0. So question then is how do I initialize the variable?

Thanks
The best thing to do is use a a control that displays state. If a button toggles something between zero and 1, the button should display the state of the thing it toggles. That way you don't need a separate display. A checkbox would be a good choice. This is a good user interface design thing and not a Python or tkinter thing.

To do what you want to do you need a persistent variable. In your function set_drfvalue() the variable "on" only exists while the function is running. Once set_drfvalue() is done, "on" is g"on"e. To make "on" persistent we we need to move "on" out of drfvalue.

This is the easiest solution, but it is really bad.
drfvalue = 0

def toggle_drfvalue():
    global drfvalue 
    if drfvalue  == 0:
        drf_label = Label(factor_build,text= "On",  fg= "#581003", font = ("sans_serif  10 bold")).place(x =130, y=25)
    else:      
        drf_label2 = Label(factor_build,text= "Off",  fg= "#581003", font = ("sans_serif  10 bold")).place(x =130, y=25)
    drfvalue = (drfvalue + 1) % 2

def build_factors():
   my_button20 = Button(factor_build, text = "DRF Speed", width = 15, command = toggle_drfvalue) 
   my_button20.place(x=10, y=25)
We made "on" a variable in the module namespace. Since "on" is no longer contained by a function it will persist after the function is done running. We had to rename "on" because it had a terrible name that means nothing when defined outside the scope of set_drfvalue(). We had to initialize "on" to a value. And whe have to tell toggle_drfvalue() that it should look in the module namespace for "on" (now drfvalue).

This solution works fine for 1 button and 1 variable. Things get ugly when you have a dozen controls and a dozen variables and unusable when you have hundreds of controls and hundreds of variables. I was shocked to discover the last system I worked on has over 1000 different controls and displays. It isn't even that big of a system. Using global would not work for something like that.

If you want to toggle something, use a checkbox.
Thank you. Problem is I have coded 60 factor buttons. Previous version had checkboxes but they took up too much room. I have another 10 to 20 factors that must be accounted for in the near future. I will see if I can come up with a work around and maybe create a list and append every time a button is clicked.

Thank you very much.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  problem with while statement. BobSmoss 3 1,650 Jan-08-2022, 03:22 PM
Last Post: BobSmoss
  Problem in if-else statement shantanu97 2 2,419 Apr-09-2021, 06:37 AM
Last Post: shantanu97
  multiple condition if statement problem FelixReiter 3 2,587 Jan-11-2021, 08:07 AM
Last Post: FelixReiter
  Problem with If statement and dataframe Milfredo 1 1,761 Sep-16-2020, 05:50 AM
Last Post: Milfredo
  Problem with a 'break' statement. christopher3786 3 2,424 Jun-20-2020, 10:16 AM
Last Post: pyzyx3qwerty
  Problem with an IF statement Ryan_Todd 13 4,964 Jan-30-2020, 08:22 PM
Last Post: snippsat
  Problem with 'and' in 'if' statement CoderMan 3 2,518 Oct-06-2019, 07:32 PM
Last Post: buran
  Why doesn't my loop work correctly? (problem with a break statement) steckinreinhart619 2 3,192 Jun-11-2019, 10:02 AM
Last Post: steckinreinhart619
  Problem with elif statement Haddal99 2 2,260 May-20-2019, 09:26 AM
Last Post: avorane
  if statement and in operator problem bobger 5 3,998 Nov-30-2017, 06:50 PM
Last Post: bobger