Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Profanity censoring.
I uploaded the censor file in thinking of 12 year olds joining for python. Of course i dont remember much problem with it in the past. If everyone wants them gone, then im OK with it. There are a lot of variations on the most common words, as well as abbreviations switches. 

I grew up where my step dad checked words of music/sites, and if they contained satanic, suicide, or swearing than i was banned from listening/going to those places. So i was thinking in terms of younger programmers. But again if the majority doesnt care, then so be it.

PS i still listen to Megadeth and still watch South Park.

for those wondering its in ACP -> Config -> Word Filters
Recommended Tutorials:
Yeah, well obviously I don't care for it. We have plenty of moderators to tell people to calm down if we see anyone going overboard and I detest censorship. If someone occasionally says something is bullshit or a pain in the ass censoring it is dumb. Also the acronym substitutions for things like OMG, IRL, etc. are a little funny but still trollish and immature.
Well omg has become mainstream speak. But i have no idea what IRL means.
Recommended Tutorials:
In Real Life

I never had strong feelings about the anti-acronym stuff. It's all easy to Google, and sometime it's a fun excuse to make an Urban Dictionary visit.
I hate researching abbreviations. It distracts me from the conversation. And some of them you have to decipher which definition they are intending. Usually i just blank it out as i read and dont even bother to research what it means. On occasion though it can change the whole thought of the responder. 

But i could care less of the word filters. Abolish it all if everyone wants it gone.
Recommended Tutorials:
(Jan-02-2017, 08:37 PM)metulburr Wrote: Abolish it all if everyone wants it gone.
Yes, please. I tried to find a "Turn off/on word filter" option in the admin panel but couldn't locate it.
Whatever you do in life will have both positive and negative reactions.
This is a basic fact of life.
It's the perpetrator that has to live with the consequences of their own actions.
Banning an action will not stop it, and in most cases it will only justify it.
The best way to stop it from happening is to ignore it.
Eventually, the offender will catch on, recognize it as a problem, and stop through embarrassment.
(Jan-02-2017, 08:49 PM)Mekire Wrote: Yes, please. I tried to find a "Turn off/on word filter" option in the admin panel but couldn't locate it.
There is no turn off for this apparently, you have to delete them.

EDIT:
They are removed. Remove abbreviations also?

AFAICR As far as I can recall AFAICT As far as I can tell AFAIK As far as I know AFAIR As far as i remember BTW by the way CMIIW Correct me if I'm wrongFYI For your information IIRC If i remember correctly IMHO In my humble opinion IMO in my opinion OMG oh my god OTOH on the other hand 
Recommended Tutorials:
(Jan-02-2017, 09:19 PM)metulburr Wrote: They are removed. Remove abbreviations also?
Thank you and yes, please. Greetings to your old man. Wink
the clbuttic example of this is the scunthorpe problem...