Python Forum
Program to keep track of reading time
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Program to keep track of reading time
Hello!
I have been trying to keep a tab on the time i spend doing a particular activity on my computer, eg: studying.

Initial approach:
An interactive program that required me to specifically tell it what i am reading, and then it would start a timer and then i would have to tell it when i am done so that it could stop the timer and update an excel sheet. That however proved to be impractical, as i found myself too indisciplined to do the above steps.
The program remained unused.

Current approach:
A program that is auto-run on start-up, which then periodically checks if onenote is running (from where i read). Then it just keeps track of that time.

However, the current approach loses data such as what topic i am reading and for how much time, which can be helpful in planning my further schedule.

Is there a way in which using the current approach, i can directly get the names of active sections and pages from onenote??

Any help will be highly appreciated.
I'm not especially familiar with OneNote, but you might find their API useful: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/graph/i...th-onenote
Thanks for your reply @micseydel

I am aware of the Graphs API, but I don't think it is suitable for my purpose. I need a way to auto-detect which page is being read when one-note is open. I was wondering if such a thing is possible using psutil module (say, for eg., to get the name of the video file VLC player is playing when it is active).

Thanks for ur time :)
(Apr-08-2020, 05:51 AM)test Wrote: I was wondering if such a thing is possible using psutil module (say, for eg., to get the name of the video file VLC player is playing when it is active).
psutil can find if a process is running.
The problem is finding out what the process dos internally as eg OneNote may not give any info to stdout/stdin that can be captured.
VLC is open source,so here can people hack into the running process and try to get some info.
Now Playing is see that used a Lua script to get info what's playing live from the running VLC process.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  find the header location in a .bin file without reading the whole file at a time SANJIB 0 2,217 Mar-05-2021, 04:08 PM
Last Post: SANJIB
  Python script to only keep waypoints within x km from track? Winfried 0 1,527 Sep-18-2020, 08:47 AM
Last Post: Winfried
  How can I speed up my openpyxl program reading Excel .xlsx files? deac33 0 3,402 May-04-2020, 08:02 PM
Last Post: deac33
  [GPX] Read all trkpt, and merge into single track? Winfried 0 1,544 Jan-30-2020, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Winfried
  [Idea Required] How can i track any change on a webpage? Prince_Bhatia 1 2,102 Apr-24-2019, 11:21 AM
Last Post: metulburr
  Select next file in directory and keep track of what's already been selected loganpmgoa 2 2,894 Feb-27-2019, 11:54 PM
Last Post: loganpmgoa
  Hard time trying to have clean MySQL to CSV program PierreSoulier 2 2,777 Jul-20-2018, 07:52 AM
Last Post: PierreSoulier
  Capitalizing a character at a time program pyth0nus3r 7 5,188 Jan-28-2017, 05:28 PM
Last Post: metulburr