Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Programmers font
** SPOILER ALERT, NOT A PYTHON QUESTION ** Smile

As I've gotten older and the eyesight is not what it used to be, I felt the need for a better font for when I'm typing or reading code.  I found a good one for Windows called Input, that greatly helps by clearly delineating between such things as: 1 and l, () and {}, 0 and O and so on.  I also found one in Linux called Fantasque Sans Mono that also seems very good.

I was just curious which font you folks use?
If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
OS: Windows 10, openSuse 42.3, freeBSD 11, Raspian "Stretch"
Python 3.6.5, IDE: PyCharm 2018 Community Edition
Sorry to ask - are you sure it's not cataract? Check it out
Test everything in a Python shell (iPython, Azure Notebook, etc.)
  • Someone gave you an advice you liked? Test it - maybe the advice was actually bad.
  • Someone gave you an advice you think is bad? Test it before arguing - maybe it was good.
  • You posted a claim that something you did not test works? Be prepared to eat your hat.
Interesting. I've long wanted something besides Courier New, mainly for emails with monospaced output in columns. The Input stuff looks like what I would want, but only if the person getting the email had it.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
(Apr-18-2017, 07:23 PM)volcano63 Wrote: Sorry to ask - are you sure it's not cataract? Check it out

Are you referring to my bad eye or my glass eye? 

(Apr-19-2017, 01:33 AM)ichabod801 Wrote: Interesting. I've long wanted something besides Courier New, mainly for emails with monospaced output in columns. The Input stuff looks like what I would want, but only if the person getting the email had it.

Not sure how that works (and I have no way to test it, but wouldn't it just pick another monospaced font?
(Apr-19-2017, 01:08 PM)sparkz_alot Wrote: Not sure how that works (and I have no way to test it, but wouldn't it just pick another monospaced font?

Possibly. But how many people have a monospaced font installed besides Courier New, much less that would override Courier New when choosing a monospaced font?
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
The three that come to mind for Windows (prior to v10) are DejaVu mono, Lucida Console and Consolas.  I don't remember if Courier New was an option at the time for the cmd terminal.  Thankfully with v10 they took a hint from Linux and made the terminal more customizable (yeah, it's a real word I may have just made up).  Later, when I have the Linux machine fired up, I'll have to see what happens if I open an 'Input mono' file, though I suspect it will just use the default font on Linux and not necessarily a mono spaced font
Some links.
Here can test fonts and theme:
Programming Fonts Test drive

Ranking of a programming font:
Best programming fonts

I use Hack font with Seti(Ui) - Monokai Seti(Syntax Theme) in Atom.
Switch to this font after reading this post and testing some out.
[Image: yNlYI9.jpg]
I thought I needed glasses, turned out to be cataracts.
Had the surgery several (about 10) years ago. Afterwards I could see everything!
Now I need it again!
(Apr-19-2017, 05:48 PM)Larz60+ Wrote: I thought I needed glasses, turned out to be cataracts.
Had the surgery several (about 10) years ago. Afterwards I could see everything!
Now I need it again!

Been there half a year ago Cry, that's why I asked.
Test everything in a Python shell (iPython, Azure Notebook, etc.)
  • Someone gave you an advice you liked? Test it - maybe the advice was actually bad.
  • Someone gave you an advice you think is bad? Test it before arguing - maybe it was good.
  • You posted a claim that something you did not test works? Be prepared to eat your hat.
(Apr-19-2017, 05:48 PM)Larz60+ Wrote: I thought I needed glasses, turned out to be cataracts.
Now I need it again!

you mean your replacement lens is going bad, or you other eye is developing a cataract?
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Programmers interested in securities trading? Mark17 1 3,921 Aug-28-2020, 05:28 AM
Last Post: MysticLord
  Looking for beginner Python Programmers. itslewis 3 2,204 Mar-21-2020, 06:55 PM
Last Post: buran