Python Forum
[PyGame] Game boss causing huge slowdown
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[PyGame] Game boss causing huge slowdown
python and media player gives error. Sound converter doesn't even recognize file. I also using linux.
99 percent of computer problems exists between chair and keyboard.
I didn't think OS would matter. .wav is .wav. It's annoying that I need to replace 50 sound files.

As buggy as it is, it is a fun game. I was looking forward to people playing it.
A wav should be a wav file. They run find on linux. Just not yours. bfxr wav files from site run just fine. Some how your wav file are missing something. Some read as blank text file. Which is wierd. Others say I missing codec. I run all other wav files fine except yours. Unknown why this is happening.
Maybe you could use a simple sound converter to change it format to a different wav or to an ogg file.

Might try to push soundfolder to github without zipping them up. Maybe it has to do with the zipping. Unknown.
That is weird. I think it might be 7zip's fault. When I tried to compress it to a .zip, still using 7zip, github rejected it as over 100 files, but it saw the 7zip as just one and let me.

I found a problem during a playthrough today anyhow. More advanced player controls too. I'll tidy some stuff up and then do another re-re-re-upload tomorrow.

Do you know any good way to batch convert files to .ogg? They are way smaller anyhow. Maybe a drag and drop utility or something?
I haven't use windows since xp died. I just use the sound converter from my package manager.
You could try an online version.
I haven't had an issue with the sounds. My VLC plays them all, but i usually install extra codecs. I usually use ffmpeg directly to modify sounds/music files. Im not sure how to do that in windows though as i haven't used windows lately.

Although i cant figure out how to progress in the game. How do you go through the crystal door for example? I tried every listed key in the help section.
Recommended Tutorials:
I have vlc and extra codecs install. I can't play his wav file at all. I can use the online program that he uses. Those wav files work fine. I tested other wav files from other programs. They work fine too. I just can't get his to work. I using debian buster linux distro. I stop using arch linux distro.

I downloaded the 7z file 3 times to see if I got a corrupted file. I get the same result. All wav files error.
What distro do you use metulburr ?
(Mar-08-2020, 11:14 AM)metulburr Wrote: Although i cant figure out how to progress in the game. How do you go through the crystal door for example? I tried every listed key in the help section.

The doors at the bottom open if you have that key collected. If you collect the key it switches that key tag to True. If that tag is True when you collide with the door, the door sprite kills itself.

Press "p" at anytime. You'll start there with all the power-ups and keys. That's the boss room. Use missiles. 4 should do it.

But go to the Dead boss sprite and turn down the music that it triggers when it falls off the screen. It's the wrong file and way too loud.

I'll post a new version soon. There are bugs I need to fix: the thrust only works 90% of the time, the energy cost of blast_lvl2 is way too high, and super_bombs don't become available through upgrades. I also changed the blaster full rotational shooting of a projectile.
(Mar-08-2020, 12:14 PM)Windspar Wrote: What distro do you use metulburr ?
was using Ubuntu when playing this.

(Mar-08-2020, 10:22 PM)michael1789 Wrote: Press "p" at anytime.
I didnt realize that you can destroy the blocks. But that helps. I am not realizing any slow down when playing this boss. You explained a centipede, but this looks like a demon moving from left to right and back. Is this the first boss? How can i quickly get to the second boss?
Recommended Tutorials:
(Mar-08-2020, 11:04 PM)metulburr Wrote: I didnt realize that you can destroy the blocks.

lol... that's the point. The map is 100 levels deep. They keys are hidden around randomly.

I said to change line 114 in main.py to "boss_room2" and the end boss will be the one I posted.

hit "p" and you'll zap right there.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  (HELP GREATLY APPRECIATED) New user- Huge Pygame Installation Problem! Jbomb 1 2,840 Jan-12-2021, 07:32 PM
Last Post: MK_CodingSpace