Python Forum
[PyGame] Spawning platforms that don't touch
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[PyGame] Spawning platforms that don't touch
I liked using videos because they start at nothing and if you follow along you end up with a game that you can understand the code when looking at it. I did try initially to figure out how to put stuff together myself, but without learning the language it was impossible. I'm better at it now and can understand MOST of what you have written there. From looking at it, I think it is want is known as a "context manager" or "state machine". I hit a wall on that and realized I was better of scrapping it and starting over, so I figured I'd make a jumpy game (that is the first game that is actually fun for me to play) and pick up what I can from it. From Kidscancode I've learned a lot, even if not "the best". There are lots of videos that use the Turtle module, but I'm not really interested in that.

I'm kinda done with Jumpy for now, so I'm thinking if I want to start on my redos of my dungeon game, my star con 2 clone, or start the "mines of mars" clone. Basically all tutorials are single state arcade style games, and that's not the stuff I normally like to play.
When i started writing, i rewrote games a lot. Especially when i was learning the process of a state machine and organization. And even then each game progressed with more understanding. The first game i wrote looks hideous to me...as it should. That means you are learning and progressing. So dont feel bad if you just scrap it and start over. Its a part of the process. Once you get your boiler plate code setup and understood the process of it, its quite easy to start a new game. Your first couple games does not have to be something you like, but just enough to learn the basics of game design. I would aim for games of different mechanics to learn: top-down scrollers, platformers, RPG, etc.

I really did not like tutorials, books, and videos on pygame because they showed what i considered bad programming habits. Its hard enough to understand what they are teaching you when you have to change their bad habits in addition (often times breaking the code). As with what you said, most of them got you a basic game that works, but never went further. They never taught a state machine or more complex requirements.

Working on a game project with more programmers (preferably with more expertise) will help if you can find it. You can also take a look at pyweek's entries for more complex games. Sometimes the best way to understand how something works is to break it down.
Recommended Tutorials:
(Jan-25-2020, 03:47 AM)metulburr Wrote: So dont feel bad if you just scrap it and start over.

Never. I've taught myself a lot of complex things over the years and there are some basics to my approach. The first being the principal of exposure. Python being a language, like with learning other languages hearing and seeing and reading all add to general familiarity. This is why I use youtube so much. The audio component is useful to me. The second major principal I learned is from drawing, and that is what you are trying to accomplish isn't having a stack of drawings (or programs), it's that you are learning how to make new drawings, better, faster, and with more personal flair. I'd give most of my drawings away because I can always make another.

As for types, I've done a scrolling space shooter, a cave exploring rpg with random walk generation, that jumpy platformed, a top down tile-based shooter, and some other bits and pieces. I've been trying to think of a puzzle game to make, but haven't really come up with an idea worth the time. I really like procedural generation so it's fun for me to play. And I think Dwarf Fortress is a masterpiece. Apparently it's a nightmare under the hood and composed almost entirely of bad habits. I've been thinking too of making some ATARI clones, "Defender" in particular if you know it. For that I'll do all the graphics drawn in python, not imported. One of my bad habits is that I shy away from doing animation in games.

I'll look at pyweek's stuff now. I'm not working on anything at the moment, so I'm seeking inspiration.
(Jan-25-2020, 04:34 AM)michael1789 Wrote: it's that you are learning how to make new drawings, better, faster, and with more personal flair. I'd give most of my drawings away because I can always make another.
Just curious....Do you draw your own pixel art work?

(Jan-25-2020, 04:34 AM)michael1789 Wrote: I've been trying to think of a puzzle game to make
This is a puzzle game i started but never finished. Taken directly from Pony Island.
Recommended Tutorials:
(Jan-25-2020, 10:03 PM)metulburr Wrote: Just curious....Do you draw your own pixel art work?

I have. I drew most the art for my dungeon game. I set it aside because it's time consuming and I wanted to do coding. I also couldn't settle on a size I liked for pygame. It scales, but it looks scaled and things don't match. I was actually just looking for a decent free program for it if you have any suggestions. I used to us https://www.pixilart.com/draw but they added tons of ads that are really intrusive and jump right in front of what you are doing mid action. Don't recommend it anymore.

Why? You want some?
I dont draw pixel art. I usually download my art from free sites. I know that when we were coding we had placeholders for pixel art because none of us created art, only programmed. So if you do that and coding, you are already ahead of some of us.

And yes if you post some of your pixel art on a github repo or something i would take a look at it.
Recommended Tutorials:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [PyGame] Timing the spawning enemies MichaelEssey 2 4,637 Aug-22-2020, 05:51 AM
Last Post: SheeppOSU
  spawning enemies in pygame Elberg 2 5,599 Mar-05-2020, 09:45 AM
Last Post: Windspar