Python Forum
a GUI beginner guide
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
a GUI beginner guide
i would like to find a GUI beginner guide aimed at someone who has programming experience, but none of it ever involving GUI. perhaps one of the early parts is exploring the various GUI systems, but it would need to make some choice. and, of course, the programming language of choice would be Python. i have in mind a Mandelbrot set plotting program in which the window would have a pixel drawing area which can be clicked on. the program would received the click-on location so the program can zoom in there. my plan is to define a network protocol to request calculations from multiple calculation engines with one running per core. the engine will probable be written in C but i want to have the end-user client be a GUI program in Python. so i need to learn GUI programming for this (i already have background in C, networking, and the complex arithmetic needed for this).
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
Tkinter by Example

PyQt4 Tutorial

on bottom of the PyQt4 Tutorial page you find
  • wxPython tutorial
  • Tkinter tutorial
  • PyGTK tutorial

The Python GTK+ 3 Tutorial
the Tkinter by Example link brings up a blank page. the URL has .pdf at the end but i don't know what Firefox is actually getting.

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
(Aug-12-2018, 12:24 AM)Skaperen Wrote: the Tkinter by Example link brings up a blank page. the URL has .pdf at the end but i don't know what Firefox is actually getting.
You should of downloaded the pdf at that point.

I use this effbot site for tkinter references. Of course this is more when i know what i am looking for. i just cant remember the name, arguments, or just want a bare bones example, etc.
http://effbot.org/tkinterbook/
Recommended Tutorials:
which GUI environment do most GUI-on-Python programmers or programmers here use? IOW which am i more likely to get more help with if i run into difficulties.

one of the things i will be doing with my first GUI program, a Mandelbrot plotting client, is drawing a pixel image output in a portion of the window, and expecting the user to click on it at some point designating where to zoom in to and calculate at next. other things include showing some text to describe the status like location and zoom ratio. then there will be higher level things like saving things and invoking a browse to get a path to save the file at. i'm sure these are basic and common things you do, but this is all new to me.

there was no download option at that point. github, for som reason, rejects a lot of my accesses, including not letting me sign up. but at other times i am able to download the source. a DNS lookup shows no IPv6 address. i am wondering if maybe sometimes it does give an IPv6 to my Firefox and their IPv6 is not serving, yet. github i just so often problematic i tend to now give up when it is, though i do give each link a shot once.

the effbot link works, but i don't get a PDF.

For Tkinter - I like New Mexico Tech tutorial

http://infohost.nmt.edu/tcc/help/pubs/tk...index.html
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself, Albert Einstein
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way: link and another link
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

You can download John E. Grayson's python and tkinter programming. The book is old and probably python 2, but when it was published, it was one of the best books about tkinter. I think most of its contents can still be used to create great GUIs.
all it was was the PDF to here, you can navigate yourself with this link.
https://github.com/Dvlv/Tkinter-By-Example

Some of the things you are mentioning are so common in GUI that there are even shortcuts. You dont even have to program the dialog windows to load/save files as they are already are embedded.
Recommended Tutorials:
i'll need to do some programming on the files since i'll need to save or load parameters and save images. the saving of images will need to involve some form of file format conversion for most formats. but i can already do BMP, PPM, and true-color GIF.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tkinter guide? Mondata 16 6,825 May-05-2021, 07:15 AM
Last Post: steve_shambles
  Guide Tinker tranduc 1 1,964 May-06-2020, 08:51 AM
Last Post: pyzyx3qwerty