Python Forum
Python 3.6.2 & Mac Sierra 10.12.6
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Python 3.6.2 & Mac Sierra 10.12.6
Until last month I had been happily using Python 3.6.2 to control a Lifx Z multizone light strip. Then Apple did a security update (10.12.6) to the operating system. Now I get the message "Do you want the application “Python.app” to accept incoming network connections?" from the operating system and a timeout error from Python indicating that it wasn't able to communicate with the strip. When I asked Apple about this they said that they did not support applications that were not from the app store. (A silly reply to my mind, since they use Python to support the operating system.)

I have done all of the keychain and codesign suggestions I have found on the internet to no avail. And I hear that Apple is moving away from SSL for security. The only way I can now control the light strip is to turn off my firewall whilst doing it. I don't like that solution.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Unfortunately I don't have a solution that will get you back to where you were. I do have two second-rate suggestions
1) Try an Apple/Mac-specific forum. I don't think we have a lot of people here who regularly use Macs.
2) Use a Raspberry Pi as an intermediary, host a web server on the Pi that your Mac can access. (My housemate controls light strips in our place with a Pi.)
Not a Mac man either, but since it appears to be a problem with the firewall, could you not just create a new 'rule' allowing the incoming connection?
If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
OS: Windows 10, openSuse 42.3, freeBSD 11, Raspian "Stretch"
Python 3.6.5, IDE: PyCharm 2018 Community Edition
Thanks for the ideas. I've toyed with the idea of a Pi -- maybe more seriously now. The keychain and codesign apps on the Mac are the only way I've found to make new rules and, unfortunately, they don't work anymore. But thanks for the try. I will look into some ofthe Apple/Mac forums.